R=6.37X10^6G*M/(R+366.1X10^3)=gGravity Force on 1.09 kg Sphere in Space Shuttle

In summary, the gravitational force on a 1.09 kg sphere inside the space shuttle orbiting 366.1 km above the surface of the Earth can be calculated using the formula F = G*M*m/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, m is the mass of the sphere, and r is the distance between the sphere and the center of the Earth. This can also be derived using the formula F = - U', where U is the potential energy and differentiation is taken with respect to the distance.
talaroue

Homework Statement

The space shuttle orbits 366.1 km above the surface of the earth. What is the gravitational force on a 1.09 kg sphere inside the space shuttle?

Homework Equations

U=Gm1m2/Re
U=-W
W=m(freefall)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am starting to understand the theory behind gravity now, am I setting this problem up correctly? I am making U=-W and then solving for the free fall so I come up with ...

G*M/(radius of earth+ distance of how far it is from earth)=g

G=6.67X10^-11
M=5.98X10^24

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formula of the gravitational force between two objects?

I assume that by W you mean work (e.g. work done against the gravitational force to lift the sphere from the center of the Earth to its current position). In that case, W is not given by m, but by m g h where h = radius of Earth + distance above the surface. It is probably easier, however, to go from the potential energy directly to the force through F = - U', where U denotes differentiation with respect to the distance, giving
F = G M m / r^2
where M, m are the mass of the Earth and sphere and r is the distance between the sphere and the center of the Earth (= radius of Earth + distance above the surface).

You can also use the first two formulas you gave complemented with W = m g r as I explained above to derive an expression for g first, and then use F = m g for the gravitational force. That will give you the same result.

So all I have to do is ues F=G*M*m/r^2...? Was I just over thinking things?
Where F is the gravitational force?

Yep.

What is the meaning of the equation R=6.37X10^6G*M/(R+366.1X10^3)=gGravity Force on 1.09 kg Sphere in Space Shuttle?

The equation represents the calculation of the gravity force on a 1.09 kg sphere in the Space Shuttle. It takes into account the mass of the Earth (M), the gravitational constant (G), the radius of the Earth (R), and the distance between the Earth's surface and the Space Shuttle (366.1X10^3 meters).

How is the equation derived?

The equation is derived from Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the significance of the value 6.37X10^6 in the equation?

The value 6.37X10^6 represents the radius of the Earth in meters. It is used to calculate the distance between the Earth's surface and the Space Shuttle in the equation.

How does the mass of the Earth affect the gravity force on the sphere?

The mass of the Earth (M) directly affects the gravity force on the sphere. The larger the mass of the Earth, the stronger the force of gravity will be on the sphere.

Why is the distance between the Earth's surface and the Space Shuttle included in the equation?

The distance between the Earth's surface and the Space Shuttle is included in the equation because it affects the strength of the gravitational force on the sphere. The closer the distance, the stronger the force will be.