1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory of Gravity

1. Jun 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The space shuttle orbits 366.1 km above the surface of the earth. What is the gravitational force on a 1.09 kg sphere inside the space shuttle?

2. Relevant equations

U=Gm1m2/Re
    U=-W
    W=m(freefall)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am starting to understand the theory behind gravity now, am I setting this problem up correctly? I am making U=-W and then solving for the free fall so I come up with ......

G*M/(radius of earth+ distance of how far it is from earth)=g

G=6.67X10^-11
    M=5.98X10^24

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

What is the formula of the gravitational force between two objects?

4. Jun 5, 2009 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume that by W you mean work (e.g. work done against the gravitational force to lift the sphere from the center of the earth to its current position). In that case, W is not given by m, but by m g h where h = radius of earth + distance above the surface. It is probably easier, however, to go from the potential energy directly to the force through F = - U', where U denotes differentiation with respect to the distance, giving
    F = G M m / r^2
    where M, m are the mass of the earth and sphere and r is the distance between the sphere and the center of the earth (= radius of earth + distance above the surface).

You can also use the first two formulas you gave complemented with W = m g r as I explained above to derive an expression for g first, and then use F = m g for the gravitational force. That will give you the same result.

5. Jun 5, 2009 #4
    So all I have to do is ues F=G*M*m/r^2.......? Was I just over thinking things?
    Where F is the gravitational force?

6. Jun 5, 2009 #5

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Yep.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook