There are no particles, only fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of fields being fundamental in physics, and how this poses a challenge for high school students learning about particles. It also delves into the relationship between fields and particles, and the role of quantum field theory in understanding particles. The topic of Yang-Mills theories and the observability of fields is also explored.
Dadface
It seems to be widely accepted on this forum that fields, not particles, are fundamental. In other words particles are made of fields. I have seen particles described in various ways such as being excitations of fields or eigenstates with known energy.

This creates a problem for high school students, particularly those who have to study the standard model. Should they be told that the electron and some of the other things they study are not really fundamental but are made of fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dadface said:
Should they be told that the electron and some of the other things they study are not really fundamental but are made of fields?

Yes, why not? I don't lie to my students if they ask, beacuse I see no point in doing so. I think that it is a really bad didactical method to make up things for them just so that they can feel like they understand something. Also that's the reason I really don't like pop-sci books...

Likes Dadface and pinball1970
Dadface said:
Should they be told that the electron and some of the other things they study are not really fundamental but are made of fields?
''made of'' is not really the right terminology for the relationship between an electron and the electron field.

They can be told that electrons are discrete excitations of the electron field, photons are discrete excitations of the electromagnetic field, etc.. This can be understood by analogy to musical sounds, which are discrete excitations of the pressure field of the air.

This analogy has some merits since it naturally explains aspects of the uncertainty relation: Musical sounds have pitch and times of occurrence, but the more precise you specify the time the less meaningful is the specification of pitch, and conversely. This is completely analogous to the uncertainty of position and momentum for electrons.

However, the pressure field is a classical field and the electron is a quantum field, so that the analogy is not perfect.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK, Dadface, dextercioby and 1 other person
This is a difficult issue, as it is difficult to say to what degree even fields are fundamental in Quantum Field Theory.

For example in Yang Mills theories the field operators act on a enlarged set of unphysical states, only quantities like Wilson loops have well defined expectation values on the physical hilbert space and even then only smeared versions of them.

One might say relativistic quantum systems have particle-like states and classical field-like states among the states in their Hilbert Spaces, but I'm unsure how one might say the field states are primary to the particle ones.

DarMM said:
relativistic quantum systems have particle-like states and classical field-like states among the states in their Hilbert Spaces, but I'm unsure how one might say the field states are primary to the particle ones.
Multiparticle states need a Fock space for their description, hence are only asymptotically defined at times ##t\to\pm\infty##, and hence at finite time always approximate (and reasonably defined only when the particles involved are approximately free). On the other hand, all states are states of the interacting quantum field theory, hence are field states.

This makes the fields primary and particles secondary. This can also be seen from the fact that relativistic quantum particle theory is almost nonexistent. On the other hand, particle physicists routinely use relativistic quantum field theory to analyze the properties of experiments involving particles.

DarMM said:
For example in Yang Mills theories the field operators act on a enlarged set of unphysical states, only quantities like Wilson loops have well defined expectation values on the physical hilbert space and even then only smeared versions of them.

Even in classical physics, only fields ##\phi(x)## smeared with smooth test functions ##f(x)## according to ##\phi(f)=\int f(x)\phi(x)dx## are observable. This continues to hold in the quantum case for the field expectations. Doesn't this remains valid even in Yang-Mills theories, except that the space of test functions ##f## is constrained to those satisfying the continuity equation ##\nabla\cdot f=0##?

Last edited:
A. Neumaier said:
Multiparticle states need a Fock space for their description, hence are only asymptotically defined at times ##t\to\pm\infty##, and hence at finite time always approximate (and reasonably defined only when the particles involved are approximately free). On the other hand, all states are states of the interacting quantum field theory, hence are field states.

This makes the fields primary and particles secondary. This can also be seen from the fact that relativistic quantum particle theory is almost nonexistent. On the other hand, particle physicists routinely use relativistic quantum field theory to analyze the properties of experiments involving particles.
I agree particles are not a primary concept, especially for multiparticle states as for ##\psi, \phi \in \mathcal{H}^{(1)}## then ##\psi \otimes \phi## does not lie in the Hilbert Space.

My point is more that in Yang Mills for example there is the space of states ##\mathcal{H}##, acting on which is a set of operators ##\mathcal{O}##. This space of operators may have smeared fields as its basis or smeared Wilson loops and either can be expressed in terms of the other, though Wilson loops are hard to compute with as primary objects. One could equally say the states are Wilson loop states.

A. Neumaier said:
Even in classical physics, only fields ##\phi(x)## smeared with smooth test functions ##f(x)## according to ##\phi(f)=\int f(x)\phi(x)dx## are observable. This continues to hold in the quantum case for the field expectations. Doesn't this remains valid even in Yang-Mills theories, except that the space of test functions ##f## is constrained to those satisfying the continuity equation ##\nabla\cdot f=0##?
I don't think so, ##\int{A_{\mu}(x)f^{\mu}(x)dx}## will map you outside the physical Hilbert Space and hence are not observables in general. Wilson loops however would be observables (Migdal and Nakanishi discuss this). In a sense one might say that fundamentally pure Yang-Mills is a theory of the noncommutative statistics of Lie Holonomies.

Or perhaps, the noncommutative statistics of Lie Fiber Bundles, with neither the connections nor holonomies being more primary, but equal descriptions.

(I'm not fully sure if this is right!)

Last edited:
DarMM said:
I don't think so, ##\int{A_{\mu}(x)f^{\mu}(x)dx}## will map you outside the physical Hilbert Space and hence are not observables in general.
But isn't ##A(f)## gauge invariant when ##\nabla\cdot f=0##? (I am not an expert on gauge theories but at least it seems to me so for QED.) And shouldn't the physical observable space be the space of gauge invariant expressions in the fields?

<Moderator's note: broken tags fixed>

Last edited by a moderator:
A. Neumaier said:
... relativistic quantum particle theory is almost nonexistent.

Yes, particle-based approaches are not in the mainstream. But they exist, nevertheless. There is a 2-volume book explaining the particle-centric view on QFT:Stefanovich E. Relativistic quantum theory of particles. Vol. 1 Quantum electrodynamics. Saarbrücken: Lambert Academic; 2015.

Stefanovich E. Relativistic quantum theory of particles. Vol. 2 A non-traditional perspective on space, time, particles, fields, and action-at-a-distance. Saarbrücken: Lambert Academic; 2015.

This content is also available online:

Stefanovich, E. V. Relativistic Quantum Dynamics: A non-traditional perspective on space, time, particles, fields, and action-at-a-distance. arXiv:physics/0504062

Eugene.

Likes Spinnor
meopemuk said:
Yes, particle-based approaches are not in the mainstream. But they exist, nevertheless. There is a 2-volume book explaining the particle-centric view on QFT:
I know your books. They feature an approach in which superluminal effects are present. Full relativistic causality is lost in the transition from a covariant to a Hamiltonian picture. Not attractive...

A. Neumaier said:
I know your books. They feature an approach in which superluminal effects are present. Full relativistic causality is lost in the transition from a covariant to a Hamiltonian picture. Not attractive...

Yes, there are instantaneous interactions in this approach.
No, there are no violations of causality.
These two statements do not contradict each other. This is explained in section 17.3 of the arXiv version.

Eugene.

weirdoguy said:
Yes, why not? I don't lie to my students if they ask, beacuse I see no point in doing so. I think that it is a really bad didactical method to make up things for them just so that they can feel like they understand something. Also that's the reason I really don't like pop-sci books...

I think there is a good case to be made for lying, as long as we are honest about it. Honest lying :)

Within the Copenhagen interpretation, I don't know whether the electron field, for example, is real at all.

Furthermore, even the electron field may not be fundamental, since string theory may be more fundamental.

atyy said:
even the electron field may not be fundamental, since string theory may be more fundamental.
But it still is a field, though only an effective one.
atyy said:
Within the Copenhagen interpretation, I don't know whether the electron field, for example, is real at all.
Within the Copenhagen interpretation, only the classical world is real. In any case, even then electron particles are not more real than the electron field, since what we measure are only macroscopic currents of images.

1. What is the concept of "There are no particles, only fields"?

The concept of "There are no particles, only fields" is a fundamental principle in quantum field theory, which states that particles are not discrete, solid objects but rather manifestations of fields that permeate all of space.

2. How does this concept challenge our understanding of the physical world?

This concept challenges our traditional understanding of the physical world, where particles were seen as the building blocks of matter. Instead, it suggests that the true nature of reality is not made up of particles, but rather a continuous and interconnected web of fields.

3. What evidence supports this concept?

Quantum field theory has been extensively tested and verified through experiments, with predictions that accurately describe the behavior of particles and their interactions. Additionally, the existence of virtual particles, which are fluctuations in fields, further supports the idea that particles are not fundamental.

4. How does this concept impact our understanding of the universe?

This concept has major implications for our understanding of the universe, as it suggests that everything is interconnected and constantly in flux. It also challenges traditional ideas about space and time, as fields are thought to exist in a timeless and continuous manner.

5. Are there any criticisms or limitations of this concept?

Some critics argue that this concept is still a theoretical framework and may not accurately reflect the true nature of reality. Others point out that it does not fully explain certain phenomena, such as gravity. However, quantum field theory remains the most successful and widely accepted theory for understanding the subatomic world.