Thermal Dynamics- heating gas in a flask.

In summary, a flask with a volume of 2.70 L contains ethane gas (C_2 H_6) at a temperature of 297 K and atmospheric pressure 1.01×10^5 Pa. The molar mass of ethane is 30.1 g/mol. The system is then warmed to a temperature of 396 K and the flask is cooled back down to 297 K. Using pV=nRT and M=n * mm, the final pressure of ethane in the flask is 7.6 * 10^4 Pa and the mass of ethane remaining in the flask is 2502.57g. It is important to watch the units and convert L to m^3 when using
CurtisB

Homework Statement

A flask with a volume of 2.70 L, provided with a stopcock, contains ethane gas (C_2 H_6) at a temperature of 297 K and atmospheric pressure 1.01×10^5 Pa. The molar mass of ethane is 30.1 g/mol. The system is warmed to a temperature of 396 K, with the stopcock open to the atmosphere. The stopcock is then closed, and the flask cooled to its original temperature.

1-What is the final pressure of the ethane in the flask?

2-Find the mass of ethane remaining in the flask.
Use 8.31 J/(mol * K) for the ideal gas constant.

Homework Equations

pV=nRT
M=n * mm

The Attempt at a Solution

I used pV=nRT to get the final pressure to be 7.6 * 10^4 Pa for part one, but when I use this to work out the answer to part two I keep getting it wrong.

I used n = (pV)/(RT) and then M = n * mm so M = (30.1pV)/(RT)

The advice that was given was that You have to watch the units, do I have to convert Pa to atm or something, what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
30.1 gmol: maybe you need to change that to kg to be consistent with SI units? Just a quick guess.

And L to m^3. You didn't show very much of your calculation so it's hard to tell what you did. But if you are using that value for the gas constant, you need to make sure everything else fits with it.

Last edited:
I tried n= (pV)/(RT) = [(7.6*10^4)*(2.7)] / [(8.31)*(297)] = 83.14 moles, that means that there is 83.14*30.1 = 2502.57g of gas left in the flask, that just doesn't seem right.

Convert 2.7 L to m^3. They are not the same and m^3 is consistent with the 8.31 J/(mol K).

CurtisB said:

Homework Statement

A flask with a volume of 2.70 L, provided with a stopcock, contains ethane gas (C_2 H_6) at a temperature of 297 K and atmospheric pressure 1.01×10^5 Pa. The molar mass of ethane is 30.1 g/mol. The system is warmed to a temperature of 396 K, with the stopcock open to the atmosphere. The stopcock is then closed, and the flask cooled to its original temperature.

1-What is the final pressure of the ethane in the flask?

2-Find the mass of ethane remaining in the flask.
Use 8.31 J/(mol * K) for the ideal gas constant.

Homework Equations

pV=nRT
M=n * mm

The Attempt at a Solution

I used pV=nRT to get the final pressure to be 7.6 * 10^4 Pa for part one, but when I use this to work out the answer to part two I keep getting it wrong.

I used n = (pV)/(RT) and then M = n * mm so M = (30.1pV)/(RT)

The advice that was given was that You have to watch the units, do I have to convert Pa to atm or something, what am I missing?

You have to figure out the initial number of moles. You then work out the number of moles in the flask after heating. Then work out the pressure of that quantity at the original temperature.

n = PV/RT = 1.01e5*2.7e-3/8.31*297 = .11 moles. (you know this is about right since one mole at STP occupies 22.4 L).

After heating:

n = PV/RT = 1.01e5*2.7e-3/8.31*397 = 8.3e-2 moles

So what pressure does this amount of ethane in a volume of 2.7 L produce at 297 K? What is the mass of the ethane?

AM

Thanks everyone, that was really helpful, one quick question though, should Liters always be converted to meters cubed when Pascals are used for the pressure, and Liters used when the pressure is in atm?

Yes. It helps to check the units of the value of the gas constant you are using, to be sure you get everything consistent.

FAQ: Thermal Dynamics- heating gas in a flask.

1. How does heating gas in a flask change its properties?

Heating gas in a flask increases the average kinetic energy of its molecules, causing them to move faster and collide with each other more frequently. This results in an increase in pressure and volume of the gas, and a decrease in its density.

2. What is the relationship between temperature and pressure in a flask of heated gas?

According to Charles's Law, the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature, assuming constant volume and amount of gas. This means that as the temperature of a gas in a flask increases, its pressure will also increase.

3. How does heating gas in a flask affect its volume?

As mentioned before, heating gas in a flask causes an increase in its volume due to the increased speed and frequency of molecular collisions. This is described by Gay-Lussac's Law, which states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature, assuming constant pressure and amount of gas.

4. What happens to the density of a gas when it is heated in a flask?

When a gas is heated in a flask, its density decreases. This is because the increased volume and decreased pressure of the gas molecules result in a lower number of molecules per unit volume, thus decreasing its density.

5. How does heating gas in a flask affect its behavior?

Heating gas in a flask can cause it to exhibit different behaviors, depending on the conditions. For example, if the flask is sealed and the gas is heated, the pressure inside the flask will increase, potentially causing the flask to burst if the pressure becomes too high. Additionally, heating gas can also cause it to expand and take up more space, which can be useful in various applications such as hot air balloons.