What is the final temperature of a glass mug filled with hot water?

In summary, a 330-g glass mug at 16C is filled with 275 milliliters of water at 91C. Assuming no losses, the final temperature of the mug and the water will be the same. Using the equations for heat transfer and substituting for delta T, the final temperature is calculated to be 76.46 degrees Celsius.
jakeowens
A 330-g glass mug at 16C is filled with 275 milliliters of water at 91C. Assuming no losses to the external environment, what is the final temperature of the mug?

Im having a bit of trouble with this problem. Since we're assuming no losses, delta q=0.

So, delta q= delta q(mug) + delta q (water) = 0

and delta q(mug) = mass(mug)*specific heat(mug)*delta T(mug)
and delta q(water) = mass(water) *specific heat(water)*delta T(mug)

so put it all together and i get
0=.330kg*840J/kgK*delta T(mug) + .275kg*4186J/kgK*delta T(water)

But where do i go from here? Is the change in temperature for botht he mug and the water going to be the same? in which case i could factor out a delta T, but then that still leaves me stuck.

Does the change in temperature of the water even matter at all?

Theres got to be a way to do this that I am not seeing...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the final temperature that is the same for both. They both have their own initial temperatures, right? "Delta T" means "final T minus initial T." So substitute ([tex]T_f - T_o[/tex]) where the delta T is.

sweet thanks. that pointed me in the right direction i do believe

i substituted (Tf-To) for delta T, and solved for Tf coming up with a final temperature of 76.46 degrees celclius. that sound right?

thanks again for the help

okie dokie. I don't have my calculator handy, but that seems aobut right.

Related to What is the final temperature of a glass mug filled with hot water?

1. What is thermal dynamics?

Thermal dynamics is the branch of physics that studies the movement of heat and its relationship to other forms of energy, such as work or mechanical energy.

2. What are the laws of thermal dynamics?

The laws of thermal dynamics are the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of heat and energy. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that heat always flows from hotter objects to colder objects, and the third law states that it is impossible to reach absolute zero temperature.

3. How does thermal dynamics relate to thermodynamics?

Thermal dynamics is a subset of thermodynamics, which is the broader study of how heat and energy interact with matter. Thermodynamics also includes the study of properties such as pressure and volume, while thermal dynamics specifically focuses on heat and its effects on energy.

4. What are some real-world applications of thermal dynamics?

Thermal dynamics is used in many everyday applications, such as refrigeration and air conditioning systems, engines and power plants, and cooking and heating systems. It is also important in industries like metallurgy and chemical engineering.

5. How is thermal dynamics related to entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermal dynamics, entropy tends to increase over time, as heat naturally flows from hotter to colder areas. The second law of thermal dynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease, meaning that the disorder of the system will always increase.