1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal dynamics

1. Nov 30, 2005 #1
    A 330-g glass mug at 16C is filled with 275 milliliters of water at 91C. Assuming no losses to the external environment, what is the final temperature of the mug?

Im having a bit of trouble with this problem. Since we're assuming no losses, delta q=0.

So, delta q= delta q(mug) + delta q (water) = 0

and delta q(mug) = mass(mug)*specific heat(mug)*delta T(mug)
    and delta q(water) = mass(water) *specific heat(water)*delta T(mug)

so put it all together and i get
    0=.330kg*840J/kgK*delta T(mug) + .275kg*4186J/kgK*delta T(water)

But where do i go from here? Is the change in temperature for botht he mug and the water going to be the same? in which case i could factor out a delta T, but then that still leaves me stuck.

Does the change in temperature of the water even matter at all?

Theres got to be a way to do this that im not seeing...

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2005 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is the final temperature that is the same for both. They both have their own initial temperatures, right? "Delta T" means "final T minus initial T." So substitute ([tex]T_f - T_o[/tex]) where the delta T is.

4. Nov 30, 2005 #3
    sweet thanks. that pointed me in the right direction i do believe

i substituted (Tf-To) for delta T, and solved for Tf coming up with a final temperature of 76.46 degrees celclius. that sound right?

thanks again for the help

5. Nov 30, 2005 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

okie dokie. I don't have my calculator handy, but that seems aobut right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?