Thermal-expansion coefficients, convection as function of T

In summary, there is a discrepancy in the definition of volume-expansion and linear-expansion coefficients in different textbooks. Some define it in terms of derivatives, which leads to an exact relationship of β=3α\beta=3\alpha, while others define it in terms of changes in length and volume, which leads to an approximate relationship of β≈3α\beta\approx 3\alpha. It seems that the former is the more accurate and precise definition, while the latter is used for simpler, introductory explanations.
Jerry Friedman
I have two questions on fine points of thermal physics.

1. Is an isotropic solid's volume-expansion coefficient beta exactly equal to 3 times its linear-expansion coefficient alpha, or is it only approximately equal? Some textbooks (Fischbane, Walker, Young) say the relation is exact, while others (Giancoli, Katz) say it's approximate. It's also possible to find books that say it's approximate, such as https://books.google.com/books?id=SwsNbiMDqzcC&pg=PA100 . In poking around the Web, I can't find anything that gives sufficiently precise experimental data or that gives anything but the simple argument about differentiating a cubic function--which I don't see anything wrong with, so why wouldn't it be exact. (Technically these constants are defined only in the limit of small temperature changes, right?)

2. Someone told me that the rate of heat transfer by convection typically saturates as Delta T increases, but didn't have any further information. I can't imagine why it would. Does anyone know anything about that?

I'd appreciate any information or any sources, especially those that don't require access to a university library.

Science news on Phys.org
Does (1 + α)3 = 1 + 3α? Or, something else?

Jerry Friedman said:
Some textbooks (Fischbane, Walker, Young) say the relation is exact
I would be surprised if they say that. What is the exact :oldwink: wording?
Bystander said:
Does (1 + α)3 = 1 + 3α? Or, something else?
If α is very small, then α2 is very very small and α3 is very very very small...

If ##\alpha## is defined as ##\alpha = \frac{1}{L}\frac{dL}{dT}## and ##\beta## is defined as ##\beta=\frac{1}{V}\frac{dV}{dT}##, then the relationship ##\beta=3\alpha## is exact.

If ##\alpha## is defined as ##\alpha=\frac{1}{L_0}\frac{L-L_0}{T-T_0}## and ##\beta## is defined as ##\beta=\frac{1}{V_0}\frac{V-V_0}{T-T_0}##, then the relationship ##\beta=3\alpha## is not exact.

My understanding is that the strictly correct way to define these coefficients is by the former, and not the latter. The latter is only used for beginners who are just being introduced to these concepts.

Chet

Likes Ravi Singh choudhary
jtbell said:
I would be surprised if they say that. What is the exact :oldwink: wording?

If α is very small, then α2 is very very small and α3 is very very very small...

Thanks. Why would you be surprised?

Fishbane (correct spelling, sorry), Gasiorowicz, and Thornton: "We can show that β = 3α by considering a cube of volume V = L3." Then they differentiate.

Young and Freedman differentiate first, then say, "This is consistent with the infinitesimal form of Eq. (17.8), dV = βV0, only if β = 3α." (The last equation is displayed and numbered 17.9.)

Walker: "The coefficients of volume expansion and linear expansion for a solid are related by β = 3α." The equation is displayed, 18-11.

Chestermiller said:
If ##\alpha## is defined as ##\alpha = \frac{1}{L}\frac{dL}{dT}## and ##\beta## is defined as ##\beta=\frac{1}{V}\frac{dV}{dT}##, then the relationship ##\beta=3\alpha## is exact.

If ##\alpha## is defined as ##\alpha=\frac{1}{L_0}\frac{L-L_0}{T-T_0}## and ##\beta## is defined as ##\beta=\frac{1}{V_0}\frac{V-V_0}{T-T_0}##, then the relationship ##\beta=3\alpha## is not exact.

My understanding is that the strictly correct way to define these coefficients is by the former, and not the latter. The latter is only used for beginners who are just being introduced to these concepts.

Chet

Thank you! That seems to be the answer, as both Giancoli and Katz define the coefficients in terms of ##\Delta##'s, not derivatives. I should have noticed.

Chestermiller said:
If α\alpha is defined as α=1LdLdT\alpha = \frac{1}{L}\frac{dL}{dT} and β\beta is defined as β=1VdVdT\beta=\frac{1}{V}\frac{dV}{dT}, then the relationship β=3α\beta=3\alpha is exact.

If α\alpha is defined as α=1L0L−L0T−T0\alpha=\frac{1}{L_0}\frac{L-L_0}{T-T_0} and β\beta is defined as β=1V0V−V0T−T0\beta=\frac{1}{V_0}\frac{V-V_0}{T-T_0}, then the relationship β=3α\beta=3\alpha is not exact.

Good catch! The textbooks that I've used (at least the introductory ones) must have all used the second definition.

1. What is thermal expansion and why is it important?

Thermal expansion is the increase in size or volume of a material as its temperature increases. It is important because it can cause changes in the dimensions of structures and can affect the accuracy of measurements in scientific experiments.

2. How are thermal expansion coefficients calculated?

Thermal expansion coefficients are calculated by measuring the change in length, area, or volume of a material as its temperature changes. The change in dimension is divided by the original dimension and the change in temperature to get the coefficient.

3. How does convection vary with temperature?

Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids. As temperature increases, the fluid becomes less dense and rises, causing convection currents. This process is known as natural convection. However, convection can also be forced by external sources, such as fans or pumps, and in this case, the flow rate of the fluid increases with temperature.

4. What factors affect thermal expansion coefficients?

The main factors that affect thermal expansion coefficients are the type of material, its crystal structure, and the temperature range in which it is being measured. Other factors such as pressure, impurities, and defects in the material can also affect thermal expansion.

5. How is thermal expansion coefficient used in practical applications?

Thermal expansion coefficients are used in various practical applications, such as in the design of bridges, buildings, and pipelines, where changes in temperature can cause expansion and contraction. They are also used in the manufacturing of precision instruments and in the development of new materials that can withstand extreme temperature changes without significant expansion or contraction.