Thermal regulation/materials?

• Thread starter Tuatha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermal
In summary, a material with lower conductivity will yield the high temperature difference you want, but it will reduce the flow of heat going from the source to object 2, and the heat could end up going elsewhere, perhaps in another direction you don't intend.
Tuatha
Looking for some help here. If I have two objects, (1) a heat source that, let's say can get up to 1500 degrees, and (2) a simple metallic object, and let's say the object and heat source are relatively close to each other. Object number (2) has a small metallic probe that goes into the heat source and connects to itself. Is there a way to regulate the temperature of object (2) through this metallic bridge, wherein, although the heat source may produce a temperature of 1500 F, object (2) does not get above 500 degrees? I thought of using a bimetallic coupler (on the metallic probe), but not sure if that would work. Any materials that regulate, limit heat exchange? Thanks.

How much energy is flowing from source to sink (the metallic object)? All you need to remember is that you can control the temperature between two objects, or you can control the rate of heat flow between two objects, but you can't control both at the same time. So, a material with lower conductivity will yield the high temperature difference you want, but it will reduce the flow of heat going from the source to object 2, and the heat could end up going elsewhere, perhaps in another direction you don't intend.

When you say a small gap, that makes me think you'll need a very low conductivity material, or, in other words, an insulator. At the temperatures you're seeing, it will likely need to be a high temperature insulation. I bought some a while back from McMaster Carr, but you can get it other places too. In any case, make sure the thing that is being insulated won't get warmer if it's covered up by a piece of insulation, cause that could change the system as well. If the heat has other places to go though without affecting what it is you're studying or building, then there shouldn't be any problems.

Tuatha said:
Looking for some help here. If I have two objects, (1) a heat source that, let's say can get up to 1500 degrees, and (2) a simple metallic object, and let's say the object and heat source are relatively close to each other. Object number (2) has a small metallic probe that goes into the heat source and connects to itself. Is there a way to regulate the temperature of object (2) through this metallic bridge, wherein, although the heat source may produce a temperature of 1500 F, object (2) does not get above 500 degrees? I thought of using a bimetallic coupler (on the metallic probe), but not sure if that would work. Any materials that regulate, limit heat exchange? Thanks.
Thermal conductance varies with temperature in most materials. Especially those with solid-liquid phases. But they are not very adjustable and such selecting the right material for your application will be complex.

What has been used is a thermal pipe, which conducts heat by gas and or gas/liquid. They can be adjusted by controlling the internal pressure.
But I'm not sure if you are looking for a negative or positive temperature response from your thermal coupler. Basically if the temperature rises from 1500 to 1550, what should your coupler do, transmit more or less?

Isn't what the OP is describing just a high temperature insulator?

Make the insulation sufficiently thick & the object shouldn't get hotter than your limit. Am I wrong?

1. What is thermal regulation?

Thermal regulation is the process by which an organism or object maintains its internal temperature within a certain range, despite changes in the external environment. This is important for the proper functioning of many biological processes and for the protection of materials from temperature-related damage.

2. How do materials regulate temperature?

Materials can regulate temperature through a variety of mechanisms, including insulation, reflection, and absorption. Insulating materials, such as foam or feathers, trap air and prevent heat from escaping. Reflective materials, like aluminum foil, bounce heat back into the environment. Absorptive materials, such as dark colors, absorb heat from the sun and release it slowly.

3. What are some examples of materials used for thermal regulation?

Some common materials used for thermal regulation include cotton, wool, down, and synthetic fibers like polyester and nylon. These materials are often used in clothing and bedding to help regulate body temperature. In buildings, materials such as insulation, reflective coatings, and double-paned windows are used for thermal regulation.

4. How does thermal regulation impact energy efficiency?

Thermal regulation plays a significant role in energy efficiency. By properly regulating temperature, buildings can reduce their reliance on heating and cooling systems, resulting in lower energy consumption and costs. Similarly, clothing and bedding designed for thermal regulation can help individuals maintain a comfortable body temperature without excessive use of heating or air conditioning.

5. How do scientists study thermal regulation and materials?

Scientists study thermal regulation and materials through a variety of methods, including laboratory experiments, computer simulations, and field studies. They may use specialized equipment, such as thermal imaging cameras, to measure temperature changes in different materials. Additionally, researchers may study the properties and behaviors of materials at different temperatures to better understand their thermal regulation capabilities.