How Do Thermal States Affect Single-Mode Light Cavities?

In summary, the Hamiltonian (ignores vacuum energy), H = \hbar\omega_{p}a_{p}^+a_{p} , represents a cavity at temperature T and supports a single mode. When in thermal equilibrium, the probability of the system having energy E is proportional to ~exp(-E/kT). To find the expression for \rho_{m}(n), we can start by evaluating <m|\rho|n>, which will give us a summation expression to be evaluated. The constant is independent of n and the Hamiltonian is governed by \hbar\omega a^+a, where a^+a equals n. By assuming \rho(n) = C*exp(- \hbar
guruoleg
The Hamiltonian (ignores vacuum energy), [tex] H = \hbar\omega_{p}a_{p}^+a_{p} [/tex], represents some cavity at temperature T. For simplicity assume the cavity only supports a single mode.
[tex] H = \hbar\omega_{m} a_{m}^+ a_{m} [/tex]

1) Given that in thermal equilibrium the probability of a system to have energy E is proportional to ~exp(-E/kT), give an expression for [tex]\rho_{m}(n) [/tex] where:
[tex] \hat{\rho}_{m} = \sum_{n}\rho_{m}(n) | n>_{m} _{m}<n| [/tex]
The constant is independent of n
2) Find this constant by imposing condition [tex] Tr( \rho_{m}) = 1 [/tex]

For the first part since the constant is independent of n and the Hamilitonian is governed by [tex] \hbar\omega a^+a[/tex] where [tex]a^+a[/tex] equals n so in order to isolate the n component from the Hamiltonian and write an expression [tex]\rho[/tex] I think we should start by evaluating <m|[tex]\rho[/tex]|n> where we will get a summation expression that needs to be evaluated. This is what I think we should do and I tried it but it is not taking me anywhere..I am afraid that I don't even know what I am doing. I just need a small hint to get started and then I will be all set...

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that the probability that the system has energy E is proportional to exp(-E/kT).
What are possible values for E and what is the probability of finding the system to have energy a particular energy E? (In terms of rho(n))

Thanks Galileo, I believe I have gotten the answer since E (non-vacuum state) is:

[tex] \hbar\omega n [/tex]

We could just assume that [tex] \rho (n) = C*exp(- \hbar\omega n [/tex]) and then it is easy street from there on...

1. What is thermal light?

Thermal light is a type of light that is emitted by a source due to the random thermal motion of its particles. This type of light is characterized by its continuous spectrum and high degree of randomness.

2. How is thermal light different from coherent light?

Coherent light is a type of light that has a well-defined phase relationship between its waves, resulting in a single frequency and direction. Thermal light, on the other hand, has no such phase relationship and is composed of a broad range of frequencies and directions.

3. What is the role of temperature in thermal light?

The temperature of a source is directly related to the amount of thermal energy it emits in the form of thermal light. As the temperature increases, the intensity of thermal light also increases.

4. How is thermal light produced?

Thermal light is produced when a material is heated to a high temperature, causing its particles to vibrate and emit electromagnetic radiation. This can occur through various processes such as blackbody radiation, incandescence, or fluorescence.

5. What are the applications of thermal light?

Thermal light has various applications in fields such as spectroscopy, thermal imaging, and astronomy. It is also used in technology such as infrared cameras and fiber optic communication systems.