Thermo -- Airflow Analysis for Heating Ducts in an HVAC system

In summary, the problem requires determining the highest possible average flow velocity in a duct where a 60-W fan needs to raise the pressure of air by 50Pa to maintain flow. The equation for flow energy on a time rate basis is used, assuming no heat loss and incompressible air. By assuming inlet and outlet flow velocities are equal, the unknown variables cancel out and the final answer is 16.976 m/s.
Cyrus
2-48) The 60-W fan of a central heating system is to circulate air through the ducts. The analysis of the flow shows that the fan needs to raise the pressure of air by 50Pa to maintain flow. The fan is located in a horizontal flow section where the diameter is 30cm at both inlet and outlet. Determine the highest possible average flow velocity in the duct.

Hmmm, I have this equation for flow energy on time rate basis:

[tex] \Delta \dot{E_{mec}} = \dot{m} \Delta e_{mec} = \dot{m}( \frac{P_2 - P_1}{ \rho} + \frac{V_2^2 - V_1 ^2} {2} + g(z_2 - z_1 )) [/tex]

I know delta P, but I don't know delta V, and delta z is zero. Hmmmm... I guess I can assume no heat loss, and that [tex] \Delta \dot{E} = 60W [/tex], so that knocks off another unknown. The density of air is not given, and it has to be assumed incompressable. I guess I'll have to look that up in the index. The problem is I don't know [tex] \dot{m} [/tex], nor do I know the inlet or outlet flow velocity.....hmmmm more thinking to myself, perhaps I do know [tex] \dot{m} [/tex] I can substitute into it [tex] \rho A_c V_{avg} [/tex] Because mass flow in = mass flow out, via conservation of mass. Oh, and I was given delta P across the inlet and outlet to be 5KPa....OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...that picture is NOT for this problem. That 5kPa and the picture is for the previous problem. Strike that. AHHHHHHHHH! KEY WORD, *MAINTAIN FLOW*, which means V-in = V -out. Hence, the second fractional term goes to zero also! Yippie! Now my [tex] \rho [/tex] cancel out too!

So the anwser is:

[tex] \dot{E} = \frac { \pi d^2} {4} V_{avg} \Delta P [/tex]

Plug in and I get: 16.976 m/s

Seem good to you?

The devil was in the details in this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
50 Pa not 5 kPa, but the approach is good - the diameter gives a way to relate the mass flow to the velocity change, so it's just one unknown in the whole equation. The fan won't change the density of air notably.

1. What is Thermo-Airflow Analysis?

Thermo-Airflow Analysis is a scientific method used to study the movement and distribution of heat and air within the heating ducts of an HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) system. It involves the use of mathematical models and computer simulations to analyze the thermal and airflow characteristics of the system.

2. Why is Thermo-Airflow Analysis important for HVAC systems?

Thermo-Airflow Analysis is important because it helps to optimize the performance and efficiency of HVAC systems. By understanding the thermal and airflow patterns, engineers and technicians can make informed decisions about the design, installation, and operation of the system, ultimately leading to cost savings and improved comfort for building occupants.

3. How is Thermo-Airflow Analysis conducted?

Thermo-Airflow Analysis involves the use of specialized software and tools, such as computational fluid dynamics (CFD) programs, to simulate and visualize the movement of heat and air within the HVAC system. Engineers and technicians input data about the system's geometry, materials, and operating conditions into the software, which then calculates and predicts the thermal and airflow patterns.

4. What are the benefits of Thermo-Airflow Analysis?

Thermo-Airflow Analysis offers several benefits, including improved energy efficiency, reduced operational costs, and increased occupant comfort. By accurately predicting the thermal and airflow characteristics of the HVAC system, engineers and technicians can identify and address any potential issues before they arise, leading to a more reliable and effective system.

5. Who can benefit from Thermo-Airflow Analysis?

Thermo-Airflow Analysis can benefit anyone involved in the design, installation, and operation of HVAC systems, including engineers, technicians, contractors, and building owners. It is particularly useful for complex systems, such as those found in large buildings or industrial facilities, where optimizing performance and efficiency is crucial.