Thermocouple in inductive surrounding

In summary: Another option is to get a PT100 thermometer. They are relatively cheap and can give you a good signal. You can also shield the area around the thermocouple to reduce interference.
roro36
We use induction furnaces to melt aluminium. I want to be able to read the temperature of the water in the pipe flowing in and out of the furnace. I am looking at a spot about 3m away but the induction from the furnace registers about 20mV on a scope which the thermocouples equate to 400V roughly.

If I move the thermocouples away, the water temp may have cooled too much and I still won't get an accurate reading.

Can anyone suggest a possible solution in either minimising the interference or using another sensor?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suppose you meant something like 400C and not volts. It depends on how much electronics you are willing to get into. There are lots of options. One would be to use two thermocouples of opposing orientation and twist the lead wires together, then use a difference amplifier. With a bit of luck the interference cancels. Another way would be a simple PT100 thermometer that should give you much more signal and using an oscillating current to read the temperature would reduce interference even further. shielding might help. Really there are too many options to name and I am sure that there are ready made sensors that will work.

Depending on the EMI that's being generated by the furnace a thermocouple or an RTD may not work at all no matter how hard you try. What type of thermocouple reader are you using? Do you have the option of adjusting the integration and/or acquisition time? What kind of accuracy are you looking for?

One option is just to ditch thermo-electric sensors all together and use something like fiber optic sensors. I've built optical temperature sensors from scratch and have had great success but they are can be difficult to build and very expensive to buy.

I'm using delts's dvp series thermocouple card, which was a failure. I can use a pt card or a normal analogu input an use somehing like an lm35? Are there any other options under this high inductance field that surrounds the probes?

1. What is a thermocouple in inductive surrounding?

A thermocouple in inductive surrounding is a temperature measuring device that uses the principle of electromagnetic induction to measure the temperature of a material. It consists of two dissimilar metal wires connected at one end, which produce a voltage output proportional to the temperature difference between the two ends.

2. How does a thermocouple in inductive surrounding work?

A thermocouple in inductive surrounding works by utilizing the phenomenon of electromagnetic induction. When the two dissimilar metal wires are exposed to a changing magnetic field, an electric current is induced in the wires, which generates a voltage output proportional to the temperature difference between the two ends of the thermocouple.

3. What are the advantages of using a thermocouple in inductive surrounding?

There are several advantages of using a thermocouple in inductive surrounding. Firstly, it is not affected by external factors such as vibration, electromagnetic interference, or moisture. Secondly, it has a wide temperature range and can measure both high and low temperatures accurately. Lastly, it is a cost-effective and reliable method of temperature measurement.

4. What are some common applications of a thermocouple in inductive surrounding?

A thermocouple in inductive surrounding is commonly used in industries such as steel, glass, and cement, where high temperatures need to be measured accurately. It is also used in the automotive industry to measure the temperature of engine components. Additionally, it is used in scientific research and in medical equipment to measure body temperatures.

5. How do you calibrate a thermocouple in inductive surrounding?

To calibrate a thermocouple in inductive surrounding, you will need a temperature source of known accuracy. The thermocouple is connected to a digital thermometer, and the temperature source is set to a specific temperature. The voltage output of the thermocouple is then compared to the temperature reading on the digital thermometer, and adjustments are made if necessary to ensure accurate temperature measurements.