Electric Shock Risk for Thermocouple Measurement in Induction Furnaces

  • Thread starter Thread starter roro36
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Induction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
roro36
Messages
27
Reaction score
1
Where I work, we have a lot of aluminium induction furnaces. The guys measure the temperature of the melt using a thermocouple straight in. The melt is effectively a single winding of a transformer coil hich has mass currents flowing through it to melt the metal. The guys who stick the thermocouple in, are they at risk of electric shock?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
From my experience with control systems for smelting plants, I believe that everything is typically double insulated so that this risk of shock is avoided. One way I was taught to think of it is kind of like birds on power lines. If the circuit isn't closed, there is no risk of shock. As a fun side-note, in smelting systems, it is not uncommon for buss bars carrying several Amperes of current to be walked on due to everything being insulated.