Thermodynamic equation from textbook

In summary: The equation ΔH = ΔU – Δng RT (or equivalently ΔH = ΔU + ΔnRT) explains how internal energy and enthalpy change in a chemical reaction, taking into account the number of moles of gaseous reactants and products. The equation also shows that internal energy and enthalpy are not just functions of temperature, but also of the number of moles of the species involved. The state of H2O in the combustion of methane can be either gas or liquid, depending on the amount of heat removed. At constant volume, the change in internal energy is equal to the change in enthalpy, while at constant pressure, the change in internal energy may not be equal to
akshay86
In my text it was said that ΔH=ΔU+ΔnRT
H:ENTHALPY
U:INTERNAL ENERGY
Δn:n of gaseous products-gaseous reactents
they use ΔnRT instead of Δ(PV),here T is constant⇒U is a constant(U is a function of temperature)
then why didn't the term ΔU became zero?
what is the actual equation?is it is ΔH=ΔU+ΔnRT
please help

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation is ΔU = ΔH – Δng RT or equivalently the way you wrote it. Now, what does this tell you about internal energy change when you have a gas (or not)?

Last edited:
QuantumQuest said:
The equation is ΔU = ΔH – Δng RT or equivalently the way you wrote it. Now, what does this tell you about internal energy change when you have a gas ( or not)?
If a chemical reaction is involved, ΔH and ΔU are not just functions of temperature. They are also functions of the amounts of the various materials present, and these have changed. Have you learned about heats of formation or heats of reaction?

Chestermiller said:
If a chemical reaction is involved, ΔH and ΔU are not just functions of temperature
I didn't say that they are. I just point out how the system interchanges energy with its surroundings and what does this imply for the various parameters of the system.

QuantumQuest said:
I didn't say that they are. I just point out how the system interchanges energy with its surroundings and what does this imply for the various parameters of the system.
I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to the OP.

Likes QuantumQuest
but how in a chemical reaction(in general) the amount of mass change(since U changes when 1.heat passes 2.work done 3.matter enters or leaves ) it will violate the law of mass conservation.
i think if a reaction takes place at constant T the heat evolved(ΔH) must fully use for doing work(expansion or compression) then ΔU must be 0.
please explain about dependence of ΔU to ΔT too

akshay86 said:
but how in a chemical reaction(in general) the amount of mass change(since U changes when 1.heat passes 2.work done 3.matter enters or leaves ) it will violate the law of mass conservation.
If a chemical reaction takes place in a closed system, then mass is conserved.
i think if a reaction takes place at constant T the heat evolved(ΔH) must fully use for doing work(expansion or compression) then ΔU must be 0.
please explain about dependence of ΔU to ΔT too
You may think this, but it is not correct. Have you considered the amount of energy involved in making and breaking chemical bonds? When chemical reactions occur, this affects ΔU and ΔH. If an exothermic reaction occurs at constant pressure and temperature, ΔH is negative, and heat must be removed from the reactor in order to hold the temperature constant. If the reaction were carried out adiabatically, the temperature would rise.

The internal energy and enthalpy of a reaction mixture is a function not only of temperature, but also of the number of moles of the various chemical species present.

$$U = U(T,P, n_1,n_2,...)$$
$$H = H(T,P, n_1,n_2,...)$$

So, at constant temperature and pressure, if the number of moles of the various species in the mixture changes (while conserving overall mass in a closed system), both U and H will change.

Likes akshay86
You may think this, but it is not correct. Have you considered the amount of energy involved in making and breaking chemical bonds? When chemical reactions occur, this affects ΔU and ΔH. If an exothermic reaction occurs at constant pressure and temperature, ΔH is negative, and heat must be removed from the reactor in order to hold the temperature constant. If the reaction were carried out adiabatically, the temperature would rise.

The internal energy and enthalpy of a reaction mixture is a function not only of temperature, but also of the number of moles of the various chemical species present.

$$U = U(T,P, n_1,n_2,...)$$
$$H = H(T,P, n_1,n_2,...)$$

So, at constant temperature and pressure, if the number of moles of the various species in the mixture changes (while conserving overall mass in a closed system), both U and H will change.[/QUOTE]
Then will the ΔU at constant volume for a combustion reaction equal to that of constant pressure(temperature constant)
(will be helpful to find ΔH at constant P if ΔH at constant V and Δng are known)
an extra question:what is the state of H2O in combustion of methane(liquid or gas)
[/QUOTE]

akshay86 said:
Then will the ΔU at constant volume for a combustion reaction equal to that of constant pressure(temperature constant)
(will be helpful to find ΔH at constant P if ΔH at constant V and Δng are known)
Suppose that, after you measure ΔU at constant volume, you cause the volume of your ideal gas mixture to increase (or decrease) by adding (or removing) heat while holding the temperature constant until you reach the original pressure. What would be the change in U for this second process? What would be the overall change in U?
an extra question:what is the state of H2O in combustion of methane(liquid or gas)
It depends on how much heat you remove. If you don't remove enough heat to condense the vapor at the temperature 25C, then it will be gas. If you remove enough heat to condense the vapor at the tempearture 25C, then it will be liquid.

we take two separate systems and allow the same reaction to proceed in both with one at constant V and other at constant P(at constant T)

akshay86 said:
we take two separate systems and allow the same reaction to proceed in both with one at constant V and other at constant P(at constant T)
You haven't answered my questions in post #9. The answer to those questions will help you answer this.

in your post the T is constant so the supplied heat must be fully use to do work so the in U from constant V to that P will be zero
so overall change will be ΔU
But here the reaction takes place at constant V not at constant P.(we add or remove heat after the reaction)

akshay86 said:
in your post the T is constant so the supplied heat must be fully use to do work so the in U from constant V to that P will be zero
so overall change will be ΔU
But here the reaction takes place at constant V not at constant P.(we add or remove heat after the reaction)
Multiple choice question: Internal energy is

(a) a function of state

(b) not a function of state?

it is a function of state

akshay86 said:
it is a function of state
OK.

State 1: Reactants at temperature T, pressure P, and volume V

State 2: Products at temperature T, volume V, pressure ≠ P

State 3: Products at temperature T, volume ≠ V, pressure P

Change in internal energy from State 1 to State 2 = (ΔU)V

Change in internal energy from State 2 to State 3 = 0

Change in internal energy from State 1 to State 3 = (ΔU)P = (ΔU)V + 0 = ??

yeah I get you.
so for a isothermal reaction process ΔU is the energy used for bond dissociation,formation,etc.the excess heat will removed sometimes by doing a work.
1.I heard phase transformation is a isothermal process what about ΔU?
2.what is difference b/w ΔU in isothemall process and not
3.is there is any difference b/w intermolecular force of water at 10C and 0C
4.in phase change does the molecule get kinetic energy(i think not)

Last edited:
akshay86 said:
yeah I get you.
so for a isothermal reaction process ΔU is the energy used for bond dissociation,formation,etc.the excess heat will removed sometimes by doing a work.
1.I heard phase transformation is a isothermal process what about ΔU?
There is a ΔU for a phase change without temperature changing.
2.what is difference b/w ΔU in isothemall process and not
In addition the any ΔU associated with any phase change or chemical reaction (at constant temperature), there can be sensible heat contributions, and also contributions from the effect of pressure on internal energy
3.is there is any difference b/w intermolecular force of water at 10C and 0C
4.in phase change does the molecule get kinetic energy(i think not)
I'm a continuum mechanics guy, so I don't pay a whole lot of attention to what is happening on the molecular scale

you said ΔU for a reaction is caused by the bond dissociation and formation.
i want to know more about it(why here T remains same)
why in phase change also T remains constant(if there isn't any kinetic energy change if solid/liquid→gas and vice-versa that cause T difference)
then what cause ΔU

Chestermiller said:
If a chemical reaction takes place in a closed system, then mass is conserved.

You may think this, but it is not correct. Have you considered the amount of energy involved in making and breaking chemical bonds? When chemical reactions occur, this affects ΔU and ΔH. If an exothermic reaction occurs at constant pressure and temperature, ΔH is negative, and heat must be removed from the reactor in order to hold the temperature constant. If the reaction were carried out adiabatically, the temperature would rise.so for a exothermic reaction under adiabatic condition can the heat use for doing work at constant T?

I have no idea what this question means. Is the exothermic reaction carried out adiabatically or isothermally?

you said that exothermic reaction under adiabatic condition the T will rise.then why the system do expansion work to maintain T constant

akshay86 said:
you said that exothermic reaction under adiabatic condition the T will rise.then why the system do expansion work to maintain T constant
If the question is, "can the heat of reaction be used to do work," the answer is yes.

1. What is the thermodynamic equation from the textbook?

The thermodynamic equation from the textbook is a mathematical representation of the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How is the thermodynamic equation derived?

The thermodynamic equation is derived from the first law of thermodynamics, which is based on the conservation of energy principle. It is also known as the energy balance equation and is used to describe the flow of energy in a system.

3. What are the components of the thermodynamic equation?

The thermodynamic equation consists of three components: the change in internal energy, the work done, and the heat transferred. It can be represented as ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat transferred, and W is the work done.

4. How is the thermodynamic equation applied in real-life situations?

The thermodynamic equation is applied in various fields, including engineering, chemistry, and physics. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of systems that involve energy transfer, such as engines, refrigerators, and power plants.

5. Are there any limitations to the thermodynamic equation?

While the thermodynamic equation is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics, it does have limitations. It assumes that the system is closed, meaning no mass is exchanged with the surroundings, and that all processes are reversible. In real-life situations, these assumptions may not always hold true, and the equation may need to be modified or used in combination with other equations.