1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamic Formulas

1. Mar 27, 2015 #1
    This is not a homework question, but more of a information seeking question. I'm currently enrolled in Fundamentals of Thermodynamics where we studied many different cycles (Carnot, Rankine, Otto, Brayton, etc.) and their respective components (compressors, turbines, heat exchangers, pumps, etc.) in both ideal and actual cases.

MY QUESTION: Is there a website or a book that contains a summary of the cycles and formulas for each cycle/component?

I'm having a tough time remembering all the formulas for each component in each cycle. My prof DOES NOT provide a formula sheet, therefore I am forced to memorize them.

The way I picture it in my head is the cycles being listed and for each component there are formulas. For example,
    Brayton cycle: (1) compressor > (2) combustion chamber > (3) turbine > (4) heat rejected
    Compressor:
    Work = Cp(T2-T1)
    ... etc.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Each of the major thermodynamic cycles (Otto, Diesel, Rankine, and Brayton) has its own Wikipedia page as well as many others. You simply put the name of the cycle into the search box and enjoy the hits.

It's not clear if your thermo course has a textbook. These are invaluable, because notes, formula sheets, etc. can get damaged, lost or misplaced over time, but it's much harder to destroy or lose a book.

4. Mar 28, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply! I've done a lot of research and it seems like I'm going to have to come up with my own formula sheet. I basically wanted a sheet with the majority of the formulas that are used so I don't have to look them up - that way I'll slowly start memorizing them.

I'm also having difficulty with PVT relationships with κ. I don't understand when I use (κ,κ-1, or κ-1/κ) and the order of the ratios (for example, T1/T2 = (V2/V1) ^ (κ-1) ). Any suggestions where I could find a good explanation on it?

I tried doing my research but I found that the more specific the problem is, the more difficult it is to find the exact solution you're looking for. It's mainly a bunch of general formulas and ideas that don't lead me to my answer.

5. Mar 28, 2015 #4
    This is the sort of thing I'm looking for except for the components in the cycles.... http://faculty.wwu.edu/vawter/physicsnet/Topics/Thermal/IdealGasProcessesTable.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted