Calculating Power and Efficiency of a Heat Engine with 6 kg/h Gasoline Input

In summary: Efficiency is 1 - Ql/Qh. So if Ql is 40 and Qh is 42000 then efficiency is 1 - 40/42000 = 0.999In summary, the conversation discusses a heat engine that receives 6 kg/h of gasoline with a calorific value of 42000 kj/kg and rejects 40 kw of heat. The power output of the engine is calculated by multiplying the fuel rate by the calorific value and subtracting the heat rejected. The efficiency of the engine is calculated by dividing the heat rejected by the heat input and subtracting that value from 1. The conversation also clarifies the equation for efficiency.
mado134
A heat Engine receives 6 kg/h gasoline which has a calorific value of 42000 kj/kg. If heat rejected from the engine is 40 kw, calculate
a- the power done by the engine
b- the engine effiecincy

-this wt i got today in my exam and unfortuntely i didnt study it well but i did the following :
1- 6 kg/h -----> 1/600 kg/s
then i multiplied it by the 42000 kj/kg
so i can get kj/s ( which is the power )
so is that correct ??

2- i said effieciency = w/Qh = 1 - Qh/Ql

and Qh = W - Ql = 42000 - 40

so is that too correct ?

* i knw i didnt study well :cry: and sorry if i posted it in a wrong section

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Efficiency is 1 - Ql/Qh

LawrenceC said:
Efficiency is 1 - Ql/Qh

thanks for quick reply
sure i knw that
but my question is : wt i wrote is right or wrong ?? bcse i got diff units and no more details

The output of the engine is Qh-Ql. Multiplying fuel rate of use by caloric content only provides Qh. You must subtract Ql from it to arrive at power output. Ql is heat rejected and it is lost.

You have the equation for efficiency wrong. You wrote
"2- i said effieciency = w/Qh = 1 - Qh/Ql "

Dear student,

First of all, it is okay to make mistakes in exams. What's important is that you learn from them and try to understand the concepts better in the future. Let's go through your calculations and see if they are correct.

1) Yes, your first step is correct. You converted the input of 6 kg/h to kg/s by dividing it by 3600 seconds in an hour. This gives us a value of 0.00167 kg/s.

Next, you multiplied it by the calorific value of gasoline (42000 kj/kg) to get the power in kj/s. This gives us a value of 70.2 kj/s or 70.2 kW (since 1 kW = 1000 W).

So, the power done by the engine is 70.2 kW.

2) Your calculation for efficiency is also correct. However, there are some points to clarify.

The efficiency of a heat engine is defined as the ratio of the work done (W) to the heat input (Qh). So, your equation should be: efficiency = W/Qh.

In this case, the work done by the engine is equal to the power (since work = power x time). So, W = 70.2 kW.

The heat input (Qh) is equal to the energy released by burning 1 kg of gasoline, which is 42000 kJ.

So, the efficiency of the engine can be calculated as: efficiency = 70.2/42000 = 0.00167 or 0.167%.

I hope this helps you understand the concept better. Keep studying and practicing, and you will do better in the future. Best of luck!

Sincerely,

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of heat and its relationship to energy and work. It explains how energy is transferred between systems and how it affects the properties of matter.

2. What are the three laws of thermodynamics?

The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy (disorder) of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a pure, perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

3. How is thermodynamics used in everyday life?

Thermodynamics is used in many common household appliances and devices such as refrigerators, air conditioners, and engines. It is also used in the production of electricity and in various industrial processes.

4. What is the difference between thermal equilibrium and thermal non-equilibrium?

Thermal equilibrium is when two systems are at the same temperature and no heat transfer occurs between them. Thermal non-equilibrium is when there is a temperature difference between two systems, causing heat transfer from the hotter system to the colder system until they reach equilibrium.

5. What are the practical applications of thermodynamics?

Some practical applications of thermodynamics include power generation, refrigeration and air conditioning, chemical reactions, and propulsion systems. It is also widely used in the study of weather patterns and climate change.