1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamic temperature derivation

1. Dec 30, 2014 #1

kelvin490

Gold Member

In deriving thermodynamic temperature scale, it uses the concept that heat transfer between two reservoirs is the function of the reservoirs' temperatures. i.e. Q1/Q2=Φ(T1,T2). And then further express that Φ(T1,T2)=ψ(T1)/ψ(T2).

I have two questions, 1. Is it a hidden assumption that the function Φ doesn't change its form for different temperatures? i.e. for different reservoirs we just plug in different temperatures Φ(T1,T2), Φ(T3,T4) but it can never be some other functions for different temperatures. Why?

2. Why Φ(T1,T2) can be expressed as ψ(T1)/ψ(T2)? Any underlying assumptions?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2015 #2
    Your question doesn't make any sense. The fact that it depends on temperatures means that Φ can change its value for different temperatures. It can.
    My understanding is this is an underlying assumption, at least in this presentation of the material.

4. Jan 2, 2015 #3
    See Section 5.3 in Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics by Smith and Van Ness.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook