1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamical fluctuations, mean square deviation help!

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Recalling that k=R/Na (Na is Avogadro's number), show that the density of fluctuations of an ideal gas are given by :

<(dp)^2> / p^2 = 1 / (N*Na) where p is the density (mass/V)

That is, the relative mean square density deviation is the reciprocal of the number of molecules in the subsystem.

2. Relevant equations

<(dN)^2> = <N^2> - <N>^2 from my book

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea where to even begin with this..I have a whole series of problems that ask me to find the "mean square deviation of ____". I understand what an expectation value is, and that i have the given equation for the value.

But HOW do I find <P> or <P^2> ?? Normally I would take the value*probability (sum of X*P(X) right?) but in this case....what is my probability? what is my value??

Where do I even start!?!?

Plz help I have 4 problems like this and am stuck in the exact same place on all 4.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2
    You may look up "grand canonical ensemble" or "grand partition function" in any thermodynamics textbook. It'll help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?