Thermodynamical fluctuations, mean square deviation help

In summary, the density of fluctuations of an ideal gas can be calculated using the formula <(dp)^2> / p^2 = 1 / (N*Na), where p is the density (mass/V). This means that the relative mean square density deviation is equal to the reciprocal of the number of molecules in the subsystem. To find the mean square deviation, you can use the equation <(dN)^2> = <N^2> - <N>^2, where N represents the number of molecules. To calculate the expectation values, you can refer to the "grand canonical ensemble" or "grand partition function" in any thermodynamics textbook.
EvilLost

Homework Statement

Recalling that k=R/Na (Na is Avogadro's number), show that the density of fluctuations of an ideal gas are given by :

<(dp)^2> / p^2 = 1 / (N*Na) where p is the density (mass/V)

That is, the relative mean square density deviation is the reciprocal of the number of molecules in the subsystem.

Homework Equations

<(dN)^2> = <N^2> - <N>^2 from my book

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to even begin with this..I have a whole series of problems that ask me to find the "mean square deviation of ____". I understand what an expectation value is, and that i have the given equation for the value.

But HOW do I find <P> or <P^2> ?? Normally I would take the value*probability (sum of X*P(X) right?) but in this case...what is my probability? what is my value??

Where do I even start??

Plz help I have 4 problems like this and am stuck in the exact same place on all 4.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may look up "grand canonical ensemble" or "grand partition function" in any thermodynamics textbook. It'll help.

1. What are thermodynamical fluctuations?

Thermodynamical fluctuations refer to small, random changes in the properties of a system that occur due to thermal energy. These fluctuations are a result of the constant movement and interactions of particles within a system.

2. How do thermodynamical fluctuations affect a system?

Thermodynamical fluctuations can affect a system in various ways. They can cause changes in the overall energy, entropy, and other thermodynamic properties of a system. These fluctuations can also lead to changes in the behavior and stability of a system, which can impact its overall function.

3. What is meant by mean square deviation?

Mean square deviation, also known as root mean square deviation, is a statistical measure that calculates the average distance between a set of values and their mean. In the context of thermodynamics, it is often used to measure the magnitude of fluctuations in a system.

4. How is mean square deviation related to thermodynamical fluctuations?

Mean square deviation is related to thermodynamical fluctuations because it provides a way to quantify and analyze the magnitude of these fluctuations within a system. By calculating the mean square deviation, scientists can better understand the impact of these fluctuations on the behavior and properties of a system.

5. Can mean square deviation help predict the behavior of a system?

While mean square deviation can provide valuable information about the fluctuations in a system, it cannot predict the exact behavior of a system. This is because thermodynamical fluctuations are inherently random and cannot be precisely predicted. However, mean square deviation can help scientists better understand and model the behavior of a system in certain situations.