Thermodynamics (Carnot Engines)

In summary: Qc/Qh and e=W/Qc. Therefore, e = 1/3 = 0.333 and the efficiency of the engine is 333/1000 or 33%.2. A Carnot engine operates between the temperatures 390 K and 300 K. How much heat is discarded for the engine to produce 1900 J of work? e = 1 - Tc/The = 1 - 300K/390K = 0.2307e = W / Qhthus 0.2307 = 1900J/ QhI solved for Qh and i got the answer to be 8233.3 JThis isn't correct either, but I'm not sure what I
peaches1221
1. The amount of heat that an engine rejects to the cold reservoir is 3 times the amount of work that it does. What is the efficiency of the engine?

e = W/ Qh = 1 - Qc/Qh

For this problem, I said e= w/3w. Thus e would equal 1/3 = 0.333. This however is not correct. What did I do wrong?

2. A Carnot engine operates between the temperatures 390 K and 300 K. How much heat is discarded for the engine to produce 1900 J of work?

e = 1 - Tc/Th
e = 1 - 300K/390K = 0.2307
e = W / Qh
thus 0.2307 = 1900J/ Qh
I solved for Qh and i got the answer to be 8233.3 J

This isn't correct either, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

3. During each cycle a reversible engine absorbs 1550 J of heat from a high-temperature reservoir and performs 1200 J of work. How much heat is exhausted to the low-temperature reservoir during each cycle?

Qh = W + Qc
1550 = 1200 + Qc and then I solved for Qc. This isn't correct either.

Please Help! I am desperate and I really don't understand these problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're rushing through these and making algebra errors. How did you go from e = 1 - Qc/Qh to e = W/3W? What is the relationship between W, Qc, and Qh, according to conservation of energy?

peaches1221 said:
1. The amount of heat that an engine rejects to the cold reservoir is 3 times the amount of work that it does. What is the efficiency of the engine?

e = W/ Qh = 1 - Qc/Qh

For this problem, I said e= w/3w. Thus e would equal 1/3 = 0.333. This however is not correct. What did I do wrong?
Who said e=W/Qc?

It's given that Qc = 3W => e = 1 - 3W/Qh. Also, e = W/Qh.

Eliminate Qh from these two eqns and see how much is e.

Same for the other eqns.

1. What is a Carnot engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical engine that operates on the principles of thermodynamics, specifically the Carnot cycle. It is an idealized heat engine that operates between two reservoirs at different temperatures and can convert heat energy into mechanical work.

2. How does a Carnot engine work?

A Carnot engine works by taking in heat energy from a hot reservoir, converting some of it into mechanical work, and then releasing the remaining heat into a cold reservoir. This process is repeated in a cycle, with the engine undergoing isothermal and adiabatic processes, to continuously convert heat into work.

3. What is the efficiency of a Carnot engine?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine is given by the equation: efficiency = (T_hot - T_cold)/T_hot, where T_hot is the temperature of the hot reservoir and T_cold is the temperature of the cold reservoir. This means that the efficiency of a Carnot engine is dependent on the temperature difference between the two reservoirs.

4. What is the significance of the Carnot cycle?

The Carnot cycle is significant because it is the most efficient possible heat engine cycle, as it is based on the fundamental laws of thermodynamics. It serves as a theoretical limit for the maximum efficiency that any heat engine can achieve, and it is used as a reference point for comparing the efficiencies of real-world heat engines.

5. Can a Carnot engine be built?

While a Carnot engine is a theoretical construct, it cannot be built in reality. This is because it requires perfectly reversible processes, which are not possible in practice. However, the principles of the Carnot cycle are used in the design and optimization of real-world heat engines.