Carnot Engines Question -- Composite Configuration Efficiency

In summary: The work is not equal to the temperature difference. For a Carnot engine, Wk(out) = Q(absorbed) - Q(rejected) and the Carnot efficiency is η = Wk(out) / Q(absorbed) = [Q(absorbed) - Q(rejected)] / Q(absorbed) = (Qa - Qr) / Qa. Further, since this engine operates isentropically, we can relate Qa = Ta ΔS and Qr = Tr ΔS, and finally, η = (Ta ΔS - Tr ΔS) / Ta ΔS = (Ta - Tr) / Ta = 1 - (
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-5-6_0-48-28.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying to figure this out.

So, I'm thinking that adding a extra resevoir for another engine will not add efficiency. It will should split up the W done by the heat reservoir. It just seems to make sense that way. So would the answer be e?

I'm not sure how else to explain the answer.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-6_0-48-28.png
    upload_2018-5-6_0-48-28.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 767
Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the efficiency for each engine, The overall efficiency for multiple processes is the product of the individual efficiencies. Compare to the original efficiency.

lc99 said:
So, I'm thinking that adding a extra resevoir for another engine will not add efficiency. It will should split up the W done by the heat reservoir. It just seems to make sense that way.
There is no need to guess or "feel" for what makes sense.
In detail, calculate the work done and heat exchanged in each part of the composite engine. You have all the formulas in front of you.

Dr Dr news said:
Calculate the efficiency for each engine, The overall efficiency for multiple processes is the product of the individual efficiencies. Compare to the original efficiency.
Why is it the product?

That can also be checked by completing the calculation as suggested by Dr Dr news

Chandra Prayaga said:
That can also be checked by completing the calculation as suggested by Dr Dr news
So far i have Engine A (between TH and TM) a e = 1-TM/TH.
For engine B (between TM and TC) , e =1-TC/TM

Start the way the original question posed it. Three temperatures Th, Tm and Tc. One carnot engine operating between Th and Tm, another between Tm and Tc. Now find heat input and output for each engine, work done in each case, as you would for a single engine. Then use the fact that the heat exhaust from the first is the heat input to the second

Just take it one engine at a time. Suppose you have an engine driving a propeller, The engine drives a gear box which in turn drives the propeller. If the engine outputs 250 horsepower and the gear box is 95% efficient then the input to the propeller is 0.95 x 250 HP and if the propeller is 80% efficient then the useful power driving the airplane is 0.95 x 250 HP x 0.80.

Chandra Prayaga said:
Start the way the original question posed it. Three temperatures Th, Tm and Tc. One carnot engine operating between Th and Tm, another between Tm and Tc. Now find heat input and output for each engine, work done in each case, as you would for a single engine. Then use the fact that the heat exhaust from the first is the heat input to the second
When i calculate the work for one engine, is it just the difference of Qh-Qc?

Yes.

Dr Dr news said:
Yes.
I think
Dr Dr news said:
Yes.
since here we are dealing with carnot, can i say W = Th-Tc?

lc99 said:
I think

since here we are dealing with carnot, can i say W = Th-Tc?
Are there any other formulas i need for this. So far i am using W =Th-Tc and e = W/Qh

After writing out the individual engines and calculating the work based on the previous i have:

(Th-W1-Tc) /Th

The work is not equal to the temperature difference. For a Carnot engine, Wk(out) = Q(absorbed) - Q(rejected) and the Carnot efficiency is η = Wk(out) / Q(absorbed) = [Q(absorbed) - Q(rejected)] / Q(absorbed) = (Qa - Qr) / Qa. Further, since this engine operates isentropically, we can relate Qa = Ta ΔS and Qr = Tr ΔS, and finally, η = (Ta ΔS - Tr ΔS) / Ta ΔS = (Ta - Tr) / Ta = 1 - (Tr / Ta). for each engine. For multiple engines η(overall) = η(1) η(2) η(3) ...

Last edited:

1. What is a Carnot engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical heat engine that operates on the Carnot cycle, which is a reversible thermodynamic cycle. It is used to model the most efficient way to convert heat energy into mechanical work.

2. How does a Carnot engine work?

A Carnot engine works by converting heat energy into mechanical work through a series of reversible processes, including isothermal expansion and compression and adiabatic expansion and compression. This is done by moving a working substance, such as a gas, between a hot reservoir (source of heat) and a cold reservoir (sink for heat).

3. What is a composite configuration in a Carnot engine?

A composite configuration in a Carnot engine is when multiple Carnot engines are connected in series or parallel to increase overall efficiency. This is achieved by using the waste heat from one engine as the heat source for the next engine, reducing energy loss.

4. What is the efficiency of a composite configuration in a Carnot engine?

The efficiency of a composite configuration in a Carnot engine can be calculated using the efficiency formula for a single Carnot engine (efficiency = 1 - Tc/Th, where Tc is the cold reservoir temperature and Th is the hot reservoir temperature) and taking into account the additional heat transfer from one engine to the next. The efficiency will always be less than that of a single Carnot engine, but it can still be more efficient than a single engine if the waste heat is utilized effectively.

5. How important is the efficiency of a Carnot engine?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine is important because it represents the maximum possible efficiency for a heat engine. It serves as a benchmark for comparing the efficiency of other real-life heat engines and for understanding the limitations of converting heat energy into mechanical work. Additionally, the concept of a Carnot engine is crucial in the development of thermodynamics and the study of energy and entropy.