Thermodynamics-Conceptual problem

• Thread starter Tanya Sharma
  • Start date
In summary, when an object is heated, it may or may not expand depending on the substance. If the object is a gas, the work done can be calculated using the formula pΔv. However, for general cases, the work done is equal to the integral of the normal force exerted by the object on its surroundings. This applies to objects that are solids, liquids, or gases. Additionally, when there is no surrounding medium, no work is done.
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

When we heat an object,it expands.Is work done by the object in this process? Is heat given to the object equal to the increase in its internal energy ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Had it been a gas ,the work done would be pΔv,but I am unclear how do we see the work done in general while an object expands.I am assuming,the object may be a solid or a liquid.

I am unsure whether the problem assumes the object is a gas.

Kindly help me in clearing the doubt.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tanya Sharma said:

Homework Statement

When we heat an object,it expands.Is work done by the object in this process? Is heat given to the object equal to the increase in its internal energy ?

When we heat an object, it is not sure that expands. Think about ice. You heat,. it becomes water, and occupies less volume.

Or think about gas heated at constant volume. You can realize a set-up when the volume does not change.

Tanya Sharma said:
Had it been a gas ,the work done would be pΔv,but I am unclear how do we see the work done in general while an object expands.I am assuming,the object may be a solid or a liquid.

If the object exerts force on its surroundings and that force causes some displacement then work is done by the object.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:

Homework Statement

Generally use First Law Q = U + W, for these types of problems. Do follow the correct sign conventions carefully
Tanya Sharma;4434808 Had it been a gas said:
the work done would be pΔv[/COLOR],but I am unclear how do we see the work done in general while an object expands.I am assuming,the object may be a solid or a liquid.

The general formula for Work Done by gas or solid is ∫P*dv.

ehild said:
If the object exerts force on its surroundings and that force causes some displacement then work is done by the object.
ehild

Suppose the object is a round metal plate which expands on heating.The radius increases from R1 to R2.

Do we say that the plate exerts a force on the surroundings ? Will the work done be given by pΔv ?

No work in vacuum. In air, the surface of the expanding disk exerts force on the air, compressing it. So it does work on the air. If the expansion is so slow that the pressure of the air stays constant during the expansion, the disk does pdV work on the surrounding air.

If there is a box touching the disk and you heat the disk, there will be a normal force between the box and disk. Supposing, the disk is fixed at the centre, the box is shifted by distance R2-R1. The work done by the disk on the box is the integral of the normal force between R1 and R2.

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
No work in vacuum. In air, the surface of the expanding disk exerts force on the air, compressing it. So it does work on the air. If the expansion is so slow that the pressure of the air stays constant during the expansion, the disk does pdV work on the surrounding air.

If there is a box touching the disk and you heat the disk, there will be a normal force between the box and disk. Supposing, the disk is fixed at the centre, the box is shifted by distance R2-R1. The work done by the disk on the box is the integral of the normal force between R1 and R2.

ehild

Very nice...Thanks a lot :biggrin:

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformations, particularly in relation to heat and work.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy in physical systems. They include the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another, and the second law, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred between objects due to a difference in temperature. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

4. How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics plays a significant role in everyday life, from the functioning of engines and refrigerators to the process of cooking food. It also helps explain weather patterns and the behavior of gases in the atmosphere.

5. What is an example of a thermodynamics conceptual problem?

An example of a thermodynamics conceptual problem could be determining the efficiency of a heat engine or calculating the change in internal energy of a gas during an isothermal process.