Thermodynamics/Entropy Question

• Thread starter turgrid
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves an 82-kg parachutist descending through a height of 350 m with constant speed. The increase in entropy produced by the parachutist can be calculated using the equation S = Q/T. The work done by the parachutist can be found using the equation W = mgh, resulting in 281,547 J. The problem also mentions an air temperature of 21 degrees C and a body temperature of 37 degrees C, but it is unclear if they are relevant to the solution. Further guidance is needed to determine the useful conversion of W and solve the problem.
turgrid

Homework Statement

An 82-kg parachutist descends through a vertical height of 350 m with constant speed. Find the increase in entropy produced by the parachutist, assuming air temperature of 21 degrees C.

2. Relevant Equation
S = Q/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I can find work via W = mgh or (82)(9.81)(350) = 281,547 J. What can I do from there.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can I assume the body temperature is 37 degrees C? Do I need to? I cannot figure out how to find hot temperature and heat transfered. Are there any ideas on how I can convert W in this situation into something useful to further the problem? Any hints towards the right direction would be appreciated.

The increase in entropy produced by the parachutist can be calculated using the equation S = Q/T, where S is the change in entropy, Q is the heat absorbed by the system (the parachutist), and T is the temperature at which the heat is absorbed.

In this case, the heat absorbed by the parachutist is equal to the work done on the system (W = mgh) which is 281,547 J. The temperature at which this heat is absorbed is given as 21 degrees C, which is equivalent to 294.15 K.

Therefore, the increase in entropy can be calculated as S = (281,547 J) / (294.15 K) = 957 J/K. This means that the entropy of the system (the parachutist) has increased by 957 J/K during the descent.

It is important to note that this is not the total change in entropy, as there may be other factors (such as air resistance) that also contribute to the overall increase in entropy. However, this calculation provides an estimate of the increase in entropy caused by the parachutist's descent.

FAQ: Thermodynamics/Entropy Question

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat and other forms of energy.

2. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It is often described as the amount of energy that is unavailable to do work.

3. How is entropy related to thermodynamics?

Entropy is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics, as it helps to describe the direction and magnitude of energy transformations and the efficiency of energy conversion processes.

4. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are a set of principles that govern the behavior of energy in a system. They include the law of conservation of energy, the law of entropy, and the law of energy transfer.

5. How is thermodynamics used in real life?

Thermodynamics is used in many practical applications, such as designing engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants. It is also used in understanding weather patterns, chemical reactions, and biological processes.