How Do You Calculate the Efficiency of a Heat Cycle in Thermodynamics?

In summary, the efficiency of the given cycle for one mole of an ideal monatomic gas is 13.9%. The temperature at each stage was calculated using the first equation and the heat flow for the constant volume and constant pressure stages were calculated using the second and third equations. The work done for the isothermal portion was found to be 3500J and for the constant volume and pressure portions were 0 and -2500J, respectively. The efficiency was calculated by dividing the net work done by the net heat flow into the system.
kd001

Homework Statement

One mole of an ideal monatamic gas at an initial volume of 25L follows the cycle shown below. All the processes are quasistatic. Find the efficiency of the cycle.

Homework Equations

PV = nRT
dQ (at constant volume) = Cv*dT
dQ (at constant pressure) = Cp*dT
W(isothermal) =nRTln(Vi/Vf)

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I calculated the temperature at each stage using the first equation. I found the first temperature to be 301K and the next two to be 601K.

For the constant volume and the constant pressure stages I calculated the heat flow using the second and third equations. I found Q12 to be 3700J, and Q31 to be -6200J.

For the isothermal portion heat flow is equal to work done by the gas which I found to be 3500J (so 3500J is flowing into the gas and the gas is doing 3500J of work).

For the constant volume portion the work done is 0 and for the constant pressure volume the work done on the gas is pressure times change in volume (-2500J).

To calculate efficiency I divided the net work done by the gas by the net heat flow into the gas but the answer is 99.9%. Can anyone spot where I have gone wrong?

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• heat cycle.jpg
    heat cycle.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure how you got 99.9%. The net work is the area inside the path. That is 1000 J. (3500-2500 but which is also Qh-Qc = 7200-6200 = 1000). The efficiency is:

[tex]\eta = W/Q_h = 1000/7200 = 13.9[/tex]%

If you are using the net heat flow, Qh-Qc, in the denominator you will always get 100% since W = Qh-Qc.

AM

Ok. I now know where I went wrong. I got the same value for W but I divided it by the net heat flowing into the system (ie 3700 + 3500 - 6200) instead of Qh.

Thanks for your reply.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Efficiency of a Heat Cycle in Thermodynamics?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It explains how energy is transferred between systems and how different types of energy can be converted into each other.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that as temperature approaches absolute zero, the entropy of a pure crystalline substance will approach zero.

3. What is a heat cycle?

A heat cycle is a process in which heat is converted into work and then back into heat, with no net change in the total amount of energy. Examples of heat cycles include the Carnot cycle and the Rankine cycle, which are commonly used in thermodynamic systems such as power plants.

4. How is thermodynamics used in everyday life?

Thermodynamics is used in various everyday applications, such as refrigerators, air conditioners, car engines, and power plants. It also plays a role in cooking, as the transfer of heat is essential in the process of cooking food. Understanding thermodynamics can also help us make more efficient use of energy and reduce waste.

5. How does thermodynamics relate to the environment?

Thermodynamics is closely related to the environment as it helps us understand the transfer and conversion of energy, which is crucial in understanding natural processes like weather patterns, ocean currents, and the Earth's climate. It also plays a role in the design and implementation of sustainable energy sources and systems, as well as the study of the Earth's energy budget and climate change.