Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thermodynamics problem

1. Jun 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two subsystems with thermodynamic parameters (P1,V1,T1) and (P2,V2,T2) are separated by a movable diathermal wall Find the relation if any between the thermodynamic co-ordinates when they attain equilibrium.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

What I understand is at the thermodynamic equilibrium point the temperature of the system (and hence for both the subsystems) will be the same,T'1=T'2= T.The piston will mobe a bit and the two pressures P'1 and P'2 will be equal to each other as well.The volumes will be changed...

But are there any more subtle point that I am missing?There are no more conditions given...
    Should it be anything like this:

(P'1*v'1/T)=(P'2*v'2/T) and hence, v'1=v'2?

where v'1 and v'2 are the specific volumes...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2007 #2

mukundpa

Homework Helper

What about the mass or number of moles on either sides? Are they same?

4. Mar 17, 2008 #3
    could you please upload everythings about thermodynamic.......please i need it

5. Mar 21, 2008 #4
    The answer is fully detailed in Callen, Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics. Please, borrow this famous book in your favorite library...

6. May 13, 2008 #5
    can you help me?? what is the equation for specific heat capacity? is it Y=Cp/Cv??

also i cant remember how to rearange the equation P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2 i need to get T2 on its own

please help im really stuck

7. May 13, 2008 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please start separate threads if you have questions. This thread is for helping with the question posted by neelakash in message #1

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook