Solving Thermodynamics Problem: Find Relation Between Co-ordinates

In summary, the conversation is discussing the thermodynamic equilibrium between two subsystems with different parameters. At equilibrium, the temperatures of the subsystems will be equal and the piston will move to equalize the pressures. The specific volumes may also change, but no other conditions are given. The equation P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2 can be used to find the relation between the thermodynamic coordinates at equilibrium, and this equation can be rearranged to solve for T2. Further information and detailed explanations can be found in Callen's book on thermodynamics.
neelakash

Homework Statement

Two subsystems with thermodynamic parameters (P1,V1,T1) and (P2,V2,T2) are separated by a movable diathermal wall Find the relation if any between the thermodynamic co-ordinates when they attain equilibrium.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I understand is at the thermodynamic equilibrium point the temperature of the system (and hence for both the subsystems) will be the same,T'1=T'2= T.The piston will mobe a bit and the two pressures P'1 and P'2 will be equal to each other as well.The volumes will be changed...

But are there any more subtle point that I am missing?There are no more conditions given...
Should it be anything like this:

(P'1*v'1/T)=(P'2*v'2/T) and hence, v'1=v'2?

where v'1 and v'2 are the specific volumes...

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the mass or number of moles on either sides? Are they same?

could you please upload everythings about thermodynamic...please i need it

The answer is fully detailed in Callen, Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics. Please, borrow this famous book in your favorite library...

can you help me?? what is the equation for specific heat capacity? is it Y=Cp/Cv??

also i can't remember how to rearange the equation P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2 i need to get T2 on its own

please help I am really stuck

hasan19892007 said:
could you please upload everythings about thermodynamic...please i need it

abbie230391 said:
can you help me?? what is the equation for specific heat capacity? is it Y=Cp/Cv??

also i can't remember how to rearange the equation P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2 i need to get T2 on its own

please help I am really stuck

Please start separate threads if you have questions. This thread is for helping with the question posted by neelakash in message #1

1. What is the first step in solving a thermodynamics problem?

The first step in solving a thermodynamics problem is to clearly define the system and its boundaries. This will help determine the relevant coordinates and variables that need to be considered in the problem.

2. How do I find the relation between coordinates in a thermodynamics problem?

To find the relation between coordinates, you can use the laws of thermodynamics and equations such as the ideal gas law, the first and second laws of thermodynamics, and the energy balance equation. You can also use diagrams, tables, and graphs to visualize the relationship between coordinates.

3. Can I solve a thermodynamics problem without knowing all the coordinates?

No, it is not possible to solve a thermodynamics problem without knowing all the relevant coordinates. Each coordinate represents a specific property or variable in the system, and they are all interconnected. Therefore, to accurately solve a thermodynamics problem, all coordinates must be known.

4. How do I verify the accuracy of my solution to a thermodynamics problem?

To verify the accuracy of your solution, you can perform a unit check to ensure that all units are consistent throughout the problem. You can also use the laws of thermodynamics to check if your solution satisfies the energy and entropy balances. Additionally, you can compare your solution to known values or experimental data to confirm its accuracy.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a thermodynamics problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a thermodynamics problem include not clearly defining the system and its boundaries, not considering all relevant coordinates, using incorrect units, and not verifying the solution for accuracy. It is also important to carefully follow the steps and equations in the problem-solving process and to double-check all calculations.