1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics problem

1. Jun 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two subsystems with thermodynamic parameters (P1,V1,T1) and (P2,V2,T2) are separated by a movable diathermal wall Find the relation if any between the thermodynamic co-ordinates when they attain equilibrium.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

What I understand is at the thermodynamic equilibrium point the temperature of the system (and hence for both the subsystems) will be the same,T'1=T'2= T.The piston will mobe a bit and the two pressures P'1 and P'2 will be equal to each other as well.The volumes will be changed...

But are there any more subtle point that I am missing?There are no more conditions given...
    Should it be anything like this:

(P'1*v'1/T)=(P'2*v'2/T) and hence, v'1=v'2?

where v'1 and v'2 are the specific volumes...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

What about the mass or number of moles on either sides? Are they same?
  4. Mar 17, 2008 #3
    could you please upload everythings about thermodynamic.......please i need it
  5. Mar 21, 2008 #4
    The answer is fully detailed in Callen, Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics. Please, borrow this famous book in your favorite library...
  6. May 13, 2008 #5
    can you help me?? what is the equation for specific heat capacity? is it Y=Cp/Cv??

also i cant remember how to rearange the equation P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2 i need to get T2 on its own

please help im really stuck
  7. May 13, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please start separate threads if you have questions. This thread is for helping with the question posted by neelakash in message #1
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?