1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics Proof : Cv (non-ideal gas) - Cv (ideal gas)

1. Sep 17, 2015 #1
    Can someone please help me with the following proof ....I'm stuck and not sure if I'm even on the right path.

Prove that upload_2015-9-17_14-52-7.png

What I've done so far;
    if U = f(T,V)
    dU = (∂U/∂T)v dT + (∂U/∂V)t dV

Cv (non ideal) = (∂U/∂T)v

Using dU = TdS - PdV and Maxwell relation (∂S/∂V)t =(∂P/∂T)v,
    (∂U/∂V)t = T(∂P/∂T)v - P

So;
    dU = CvdT + [ T(∂P/∂T)v - P ]dv

I'm basically stuck here, tried different ways forward from here but I can't seem to arrive at the correct answer. Any help would be

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2015 #2
    This is a homework problem, so I am moving it to a homework forum.

You want to find U(T+dT, V) - U(T,V), where V is a small enough volume so that ideal gas behavior does not to apply. What you do is start at T,V and determine the isothermal change in U when you go from T,V to very large volume (infinite). This puts you in the ideal gas region. Then you take the change in U from T and infinite volume to T + dT and infinite volume. This is just the ideal gas heat capacity times dT. Then you go isothermally from T+dT and infinite volume to T+dT and finite volume V.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted