1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thermodynamics question. Could be simpler than it looks, but I am really stuck.

1. Aug 26, 2010 #1
    Precisely what does the following equation, in which R is the gas constant, allow one to calculate?

ln xs = -dHf/R(T0-T/TT0)

I have no idea what this could be. I know what each part of the equation is (gas constant, change in enthalpy of formation, Freezing point depression etc.) I just don't know what it allows me to calculate...except that its the natural log of something. I think it has something to do with entropy, but I'm not sure. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2

presbyope

Gold Member

Notation is ambiguous. Did you mean

[tex]
    \ln x_s = \frac{-dH_f}{R}\left(\frac{T_0-T}{TT_0}\right)
    [/tex]

in which case [itex]x_s[/itex] is dimensionless?

4. Aug 29, 2010 #3
    That is exactly what I meant, yes. I did not know you could put in equations like that. Anyway, I have to find out precisely what it allows me to calculate, but I have no idea.

5. Aug 29, 2010 #4

presbyope

Gold Member

Try this:
    1. the expression with T can be rewritten as two terms
    2. exponentiate

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  6. Aug 29, 2010 #5

presbyope

Gold Member

That should give you something that looks a lot like something else you're familiar with :-/

7. Aug 30, 2010 #6
    Oohhhhh yeeeah! Thanks for that!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook