Thermodynamics question. Could be simpler than it looks, but I am really stuck.

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving the gas constant, change in enthalpy of formation, and freezing point depression. The equation also includes the natural log of something and has something to do with entropy. Through clarifying the notation and manipulating the equation, it is revealed that the equation can be rewritten and exponentiated to reveal a familiar expression.
Jasbraman
Precisely what does the following equation, in which R is the gas constant, allow one to calculate?

ln xs = -dHf/R(T0-T/TT0)

I have no idea what this could be. I know what each part of the equation is (gas constant, change in enthalpy of formation, Freezing point depression etc.) I just don't know what it allows me to calculate...except that its the natural log of something. I think it has something to do with entropy, but I'm not sure. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Notation is ambiguous. Did you mean

[tex]
\ln x_s = \frac{-dH_f}{R}\left(\frac{T_0-T}{TT_0}\right)
[/tex]

in which case [itex]x_s[/itex] is dimensionless?

That is exactly what I meant, yes. I did not know you could put in equations like that. Anyway, I have to find out precisely what it allows me to calculate, but I have no idea.

Jasbraman said:
That is exactly what I meant, yes. I did not know you could put in equations like that. Anyway, I have to find out precisely what it allows me to calculate, but I have no idea.

Try this:
1. the expression with T can be rewritten as two terms
2. exponentiate

Last edited:
That should give you something that looks a lot like something else you're familiar with :-/

Oohhhhh yeeeah! Thanks for that!

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of how heat and energy are related to each other and how they affect matter. It is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of systems at a macroscopic level.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are a set of fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy and matter. They include the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed, and the second law, which states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always tend to increase over time.

3. How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in our daily lives, from the functioning of our bodies to the operation of machines and appliances. It helps us understand processes such as cooking, refrigeration, and energy production.

4. What are some practical applications of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has numerous practical applications in various industries, including power generation, chemical reactions, and material processing. It is also essential in designing efficient engines, refrigerators, and air conditioning systems.

5. What are the different branches of thermodynamics?

There are three main branches of thermodynamics: classical thermodynamics, which deals with macroscopic systems and their properties; statistical thermodynamics, which uses statistical methods to study the behavior of particles at a microscopic level; and quantum thermodynamics, which combines quantum mechanics and thermodynamics to study the behavior of small systems.