Solving for Angle: Oil and Water Mixed in a Tank with a Pipe Exiting at an Angle

In summary, the conversation is about a thermodynamics problem involving pressure. A tank is filled with oil and water and a pipe leads away at an angle from the bottom of the tank. The person asking for help missed class and is having trouble understanding how specific gravity (SG) relates to finding the angle of the pipe. They received a nudge in the right direction and are using a thermodynamics textbook. They also mention being out sick with the flu.
dmalwcc89

Homework Statement

A tank is filled with 50 cm of oil (SG 0.8) overlaying 50 cm of water (SG 1.0). A pipe leads
away at an angle from the bottom of the tank. If 2.13 m of the pipe is filled with water, what is the angle the pipe makes with the horizontal?

Homework Equations

I missed class, so off the top of my head or in my book I can't see anything pertaining right away.

The Attempt at a Solution

I researched and saw SG was specific gravity. I was out sick from class the day these things were went over, so I honestly just need help getting the problem kick-started. I don't know how S.G. has to do with finding an angle or anything. Any nudge in the right direction would be great, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I guess you did miss class. This isn't really a thermodynamics problem, it's a pressure problem. The pressure at the bottom of the tank of mixed oil and water should equal the pressure at the bottom of the pipe filled with water. Which in turn depends on the angle of the pipe. Consider yourself nudged.

I only titled it as such because the class is Thermodynamics. We have been learning pressure amongst a lot of other things. But I don't really have control over the flu, so stuff happens. Thanks though.

dmalwcc89 said:
I only titled it as such because the class is Thermodynamics. We have been learning pressure amongst a lot of other things. But I don't really have control over the flu, so stuff happens. Thanks though.

Hope you're feeling better. How hard did H1N1 hit you? I think Dick pointed you in the right direction. Post more if you still have trouble with the question or concepts. Even with the flu, though, we still will need you to do the work. Which textbook are you folks using?

berkeman said:
Hope you're feeling better. How hard did H1N1 hit you? I think Dick pointed you in the right direction. Post more if you still have trouble with the question or concepts. Even with the flu, though, we still will need you to do the work. Which textbook are you folks using?

Oh, no no I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you guys weren't helping. The nudge was great and I appreciate it. My response was mainly just to justify titling the question the way I did.

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat and other forms of energy, and how energy is transferred between different systems.

What are the laws of thermodynamics?

There are four laws of thermodynamics, but the first and second laws are the most well-known. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred between two objects due to a difference in temperature. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in an object.

How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in our everyday lives. From heating our homes to cooking our food, most of the energy we use comes from thermodynamics principles. It also helps explain natural phenomena such as weather patterns and the functioning of our bodies.

What are some practical applications of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications, including power generation, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and engines. It also plays a significant role in chemical reactions, material science, and environmental science.