1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics Question

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A tank is filled with 50 cm of oil (SG 0.8) overlaying 50 cm of water (SG 1.0). A pipe leads
    away at an angle from the bottom of the tank. If 2.13 m of the pipe is filled with water, what is the angle the pipe makes with the horizontal?

2. Relevant equations

I missed class, so off the top of my head or in my book I can't see anything pertaining right away.

3. The attempt at a solution

I researched and saw SG was specific gravity. I was out sick from class the day these things were went over, so I honestly just need help getting the problem kick-started. I don't know how S.G. has to do with finding an angle or anything. Any nudge in the right direction would be great, thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, I guess you did miss class. This isn't really a thermodynamics problem, it's a pressure problem. The pressure at the bottom of the tank of mixed oil and water should equal the pressure at the bottom of the pipe filled with water. Which in turn depends on the angle of the pipe. Consider yourself nudged.

4. Oct 16, 2009 #3
    I only titled it as such because the class is Thermodynamics. We have been learning pressure amongst a lot of other things. But I don't really have control over the flu, so stuff happens. Thanks though.

5. Oct 17, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hope you're feeling better. How hard did H1N1 hit you? I think Dick pointed you in the right direction. Post more if you still have trouble with the question or concepts. Even with the flu, though, we still will need you to do the work. Which textbook are you folks using?

6. Oct 17, 2009 #5
    Oh, no no I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that you guys weren't helping. The nudge was great and I appreciate it. My response was mainly just to justify titling the question the way I did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook