Understanding Thermodynamics: Minimum Gibbs Potential and Maxwell's Relation

In summary: E.g. in eq 22.5, you can show that if you assume c_p > 0 and c_v > 0, then the second term on the RHS of 22.5 must be positive (because the first term is positive and c_p > c_v > 0). So you can just assume c_p > 0 and c_v > 0 in 22.3, 22.4, and 22.5.
matematikuvol
If in some thermodynamics system preasure [tex]P[/tex] and temperature [tex]T[/tex] are constant then Gibbs potential has minimum.

[tex]G=U-TS+PV[/tex]

Variation of [tex]G[/tex] is

[tex]\delta G=\delta U-T \delta S+P \delta V[/tex]

[tex]U=U(S,V)[/tex]

[tex]\delta U=(\frac{\partial U}{\partial S})_V\delta S+(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V})_S\delta V+\frac{1}{2}(\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial S^2})_V(\delta S)^2+\frac{1}{2}(\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial V^2})_S(\delta V)^2+\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial S\partial V}\delta S \delta V[/tex]

If we use Maxwell relation we get

[tex]\delta G=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial S^2})_V(\delta S)^2+\frac{1}{2}(\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial V^2})_S(\delta V)^2+\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial S\partial V}\delta S \delta V[/tex]

and from here

[tex]\delta G>0[/tex]

Is it true from [tex]G[/tex] is minimum. Or [tex]\delta G=0, \delta^2 G>0[/tex]. Tnx for your answer.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Your expansion of δU (second order Taylor expansion) seems to be missing (δS)2 and (δV)2 in the third and fourth terms.

Tnx. I fixed it. Do you know answer to my question?

No. I'm still trying to follow your reasoning. Your first expression for δG should surely be

δG = VδP - SδT

The right hand side of your equation for δG is surely identically zero (at least to first order)?

[Earlier mistake in signs put right following RAP's post. Sorry.]

Last edited:
The correct expression for δG is derived as:

G=U+PV-TS

δG=δU+(PδV+VδP)-(TδS+SδT) = (TδS-PδV)+(PδV+VδP)-(TδS+SδT) = VδP-SδT

which will be zero for a constant number of particles (N)

Yes you're right. Landau says in his book. In thermodynamics equlibrium [tex]G[/tex] is minimum. Thus for any small deviation from equilibrium the change of the quontity [tex]G[/tex] musy be positive. So

[tex]\delta U -T\delta S+P\delta V>0[/tex]

In other words the minimum work which must be done from bring this part of body from equilibrium to any neighboring state is positive.

Well ok. I can except that. But

But if I understand well in some neighboring state [tex]\delta P[/tex], and [tex]\delta T[/tex] isn't zero.

Also is interesting that Landau then says

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial S^2}(\delta S)^2+2\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial S\partial V}\delta S\delta V+\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial V^2}(\delta V)^2>0[/tex]

If such an inequality holds for arbitrary [tex]\delta S[/tex] and [tex]\delta V[/tex] then

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial S^2}>0[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial S^2}\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial V^2}-(\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial S\partial V})^2>0[/tex]

How he get this second inequality? I don't understand. And why he doesn't have condition

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial V^2}>0[/tex]

Thanks for your answer.

Last edited:
Rap said:
The correct expression for δG is derived as:

G=U+PV-TS

which will be zero for a constant number of particles (N)

You can't use eq

[tex]\delta U=T\delta S-P\delta V[/tex]

Second law of thermodynamics is defined by eq

[tex]d U=TdS-Pd V[/tex]

You can't simply change derivatives with variations. Give reference for that.

matematikuvol said:
You can't use eq

[tex]\delta U=T\delta S-P\delta V[/tex]

Second law of thermodynamics is defined by eq

[tex]d U=TdS-Pd V[/tex]

You can't simply change derivatives with variations. Give reference for that.

I assumed the person was using "[itex]\delta[/itex]" incorrectly in place of "d" and didn't bother to correct it. I probably should not have done that. All system variables should use "d", but products of conjugate variables should use [itex]\delta[/itex] like [itex]\delta W=P dV[/itex]. Will that fix everything?

Last edited:
This [tex]\delta[/tex]-s from my posts are variations, not derivatives.

matematikuvol said:
Also is interesting that Landau then says

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial S^2}(\delta S)^2+2\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial S\partial V}\delta S\delta V+\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial V^2}(\delta V)^2>0[/tex]

If such an inequality holds for arbitrary [tex]\delta S[/tex] and [tex]\delta V[/tex] then

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial S^2}>0[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial S^2}\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial V^2}-(\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial S\partial V})^2>0[/tex]

How he get this second inequality? I don't understand. And why he doesn't have condition

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial V^2}>0[/tex]

Thanks for your answer.

There are two variables that are being varied arbitrarily (del_S and del_V). So you will only need to satisfy TWO conditions. The following is one way to derive one set of two conditions:

In the inequality (21.2) of pg 64, let x = delta_S (just for convenience;)
Now you get a quadratic equation on the left side of the inequality (21.2) of the form:
a x^2 + b x + c > 0

(where a, b, c are the other terms consisting of partials etc).

(i) For the left side of this inequality to have no roots, you want the following condition for the discriminant:

b^2 - 4 a c < 0 (this is condition 21.4 in the book)

(ii) and for the quadratic equation on the left side to be > 0, you need, in addition to condition (i) above, the following condition:

a > 0 (this is condition (21.3) in the book)

Hope that helps.

This is just at the side (a digression): And you can similarly derive an alternative 2 conditions, if you took x = delta_V originally. In fact, one of the conditions will be the same as (i), and the other can be transformed to
(partial_P / partial_V)_S < 0 (which is related to the isothermal compressibility in (21.6) through (16.14)). But you need to show that c_p > 0 in 16.14 in order to get 21.6 (we only know that c_v > 0 in the derivation up to 21.5); so Landau shows that c_p > c_v > 0 in pg 64-65 with the help of 16.10 and 21.6.

Last edited:
centaure said:
There are two variables that are being varied arbitrarily (del_S and del_V). So you will only need to satisfy TWO conditions.

Actually, I was wrong about the reasoning why you need two conditions. In the above inequality, it is just because that is all you need to satisfy the inequality (which is quadratic in x = delta_S). In addition, the extra condition you get from using x = delta_V can be transformed to 21.3.

In the general case, you will have 3 conditions (see Le Chatelier's principle (eqns 22.3 - 22.4))

1. What is the minimum Gibbs potential in thermodynamics?

The minimum Gibbs potential, also known as the minimum free energy or minimum free enthalpy, is a thermodynamic potential that describes the amount of energy released or absorbed in a system at constant temperature and pressure. It represents the thermodynamic equilibrium state of a system.

2. How is the minimum Gibbs potential related to the equilibrium state of a system?

The minimum Gibbs potential is related to the equilibrium state of a system because it represents the state of the system where the maximum amount of work can be extracted, and no spontaneous change will occur. This equilibrium state is reached when the Gibbs potential reaches its minimum value.

3. What is Maxwell's relation in thermodynamics?

Maxwell's relation is a mathematical relationship that describes the connection between the thermodynamic properties of a system. It relates the partial derivatives of thermodynamic potentials, such as the Gibbs potential, to each other, and it is used to analyze and solve thermodynamic problems.

4. How is Maxwell's relation derived?

Maxwell's relation is derived from the fundamental thermodynamic equations, specifically the first and second laws of thermodynamics. It can also be derived by considering the properties of exact differentials and using thermodynamic identities such as the Clausius-Clapeyron equation.

5. What is the practical importance of understanding thermodynamics and the minimum Gibbs potential?

Understanding thermodynamics and the minimum Gibbs potential is crucial in many fields, including engineering, chemistry, and physics. It allows for the prediction and control of chemical and physical processes, such as phase transitions and chemical reactions. It also helps in the design and optimization of energy conversion systems, such as engines and power plants. Additionally, understanding thermodynamics is essential for developing sustainable and efficient technologies.