Thermodynamics: two stage-compressor

In summary: This is not always the case though, as the compressor will transfer heat to the working fluid as it operates. If we treat the process as not adiabatic, we can use the work per unit mass to find the pressure at which the work is minimal. By doing this, we can find the adiabatic pressure and find that it is equal to P_2.
Four_FUN

Homework Statement

Consider a two stage compressor. The working fluid is air. The first stage compressor takes the air at P_1 and T_1. It compresses the air to the pressure P_2. Between the two compressors, the air is cooled at constant pressure from T_2 to T_1 (I believe this is the other way around but this is how its written). It is then compressed by the second compressor to the pressure P_3

a) draw the process in P-v coordinates
b) Determine the work per unit mass to run the compressor, as a function of P_1, P_2, P_3, T_1, gamma and c_p (specific heat at constant pressure).
c) Determine the pressure, P_2, which minimizes the compressor work.

Homework Equations

Delta(U) = Q - W (heat to system - work by system) (1)
PV=mRT, where R=287 kg/(mol K) and m = 1kg (2)

du = c_v*dT (3)
dh = (dq when P is constant) = c_p*dT (4)

The Attempt at a Solution

My P-v diagram is as shown in the (crude) paint drawing

Now to find the work I use the definition of pressure-volume work along the paths A-B and C-D to obtain:

W_AB = R*T_1*LN(p_1/p_2)
W_CD = R*T_2*LN(p_2/p_3)

using specific heats and applying (3) and (4) to (1)
W_BC = (T_2 - T_1)*(c_p - c_v) = R*(T_2 -T_1)

Now I imagine that the answer is the sum of the above. Unfortunatelly though I have been unable to get rid of that T_2 and presumably in the process get gamma to appear somewhere. If I could achieve that I would simply calculate dW/dp_2 == 0 and hopefully get an answer. I would like some help in getting rid of T_2 and any hints or comments on my work thus far.

Attachments

• PV diagram.png
    PV diagram.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 648
Physics news on Phys.org
B should be P2 T2
C should be P2 T1

Ok! But does this mean I should treat A-B and C-D as adiabatic processes or should I not make such a simplifying assumption?

To say the process is adiabatic would mean that the compressor, compresses the gas fast enough for there to be any heat transfer...

1. What is a two stage-compressor in thermodynamics?

A two stage-compressor in thermodynamics is a type of compressor that uses two stages to compress the gas. This means that the gas is compressed in two separate stages, with an intermediate cooling process in between. This type of compressor is commonly used in industrial processes, air conditioning systems, and refrigerators.

2. How does a two stage-compressor work?

A two stage-compressor works by compressing the gas in two stages. The first stage compresses the gas to a certain pressure, and then the gas is cooled before entering the second stage. In the second stage, the gas is further compressed to the desired pressure. This two-stage process allows for more efficient compression and reduces the workload on the compressor.

3. What are the advantages of using a two stage-compressor in thermodynamics?

The main advantage of using a two stage-compressor in thermodynamics is that it allows for more efficient compression. The intermediate cooling process between the two stages helps to reduce the temperature and volume of the gas before it enters the second stage, making it easier to compress. This results in less energy consumption and lower operating costs.

4. What are the limitations of a two stage-compressor in thermodynamics?

One limitation of a two stage-compressor in thermodynamics is that it requires more space compared to a single stage compressor. This is because it has two stages and an additional cooling system, which takes up more space. Additionally, the cost of a two stage-compressor is higher compared to a single stage compressor, which may not be feasible for smaller operations.

5. How do you determine the efficiency of a two stage-compressor in thermodynamics?

The efficiency of a two stage-compressor in thermodynamics can be determined by calculating the compression ratio. This is the ratio of the discharge pressure to the suction pressure. A higher compression ratio indicates a more efficient compressor. Other factors that can affect efficiency include temperature and humidity of the gas, as well as the type and condition of the compressor.