Thevenin Eq. with controlled current source

In summary, the problem at hand is how to approach solving a circuit with both independent and dependent sources. KVL and KCL can be used to find the voltage across the 4 ohm resistor. Additionally, keeping Ohm's law in mind can help determine the relationship between the short circuit current and open circuit voltage.
novatank
Hi!

So, I've got this problem, and it's doing my head in a bit;

http://yfrog.com/mtthevcsj

I'm not entirely sure where to begin with this one. I've tried a few things, and hit dead ends pretty quickly on all of them; trying to find vx, Voc, Isc, node analysis by treating terminal 'a' to the Current source/8ohm/4ohm junction as one node.

Am I right in thinking that Voc = V across the 8ohm resistor?
Also, I read somewhere that the controlled current source may be treated as an open circuit, is this right?

If some one could please give me a shove in the right direction, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance!
Tank

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dependant Current Sources may NOT be treated as open circuits, but in thevenin and norton equivalents independent sources may be considered as such.
First off, this circuit contains both independent and dependent sources. Apply KVL or KCL and then you'll find the the voltage across your 4 ohm resistor. KCL is a powerful tool in these types of problems. That will be a good step in the right direction, also, keep ohm's law in mind in relation to your short circuit current and your open circuit voltage, what might their ratios represent?

Last edited:

1. What is Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is a fundamental principle in electrical circuit analysis that states any linear circuit can be replaced by an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single series resistor, known as the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

2. How is Thevenin's theorem used with controlled current sources?

Thevenin's theorem can be extended to circuits with controlled sources, such as controlled current sources, by treating the controlling variables as unknown parameters and solving for the equivalent circuit using the same principles as in traditional Thevenin's theorem.

3. What is a controlled current source?

A controlled current source is a type of electronic component that regulates the flow of current in a circuit based on an external input signal. It can be used to vary the amount of current in a specific part of a circuit, making it a useful tool in circuit design and analysis.

4. How do you calculate the Thevenin equivalent with a controlled current source?

To calculate the Thevenin equivalent with a controlled current source, you first need to determine the open-circuit voltage and the equivalent resistance of the circuit. Then, you can use these values to find the equivalent voltage source and resistance for the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

5. What are the benefits of using Thevenin's theorem with controlled current sources?

Thevenin's theorem allows for simplified analysis of complex circuits with controlled current sources. By converting the circuit to an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and resistor, calculations become easier and more manageable. This can save time and effort in circuit design and troubleshooting.