Thin lens equation for diverging lenses.

In summary: In this case, you have 1/di = -12/7cm. Invert both sides to get di = -7/12cm.In summary, the conversation discussed the thin lens equation for diverging lenses, which is given by 1/f = 1/di + 1/do. An example was provided with values for f, do, and di, and the conversation focused on the last step of solving for di. It was clarified that the last line was a typo and should have read di = -7/12cm instead of -12/7cm. The concept of inverting fractions to solve for a variable was explained.
nblu
Hi, I was reading a section which explains about the
"thin lens equation for diverging lenses" and it included an example;

Formula:
1/f = 1/di + 1/do
where f is the focal distance,
di is the distance of the image from the center and,
do is the distance of the object from the center.

Example:
f = -4cm
do = 3cm
di = ?

1/di = 1/f - 1/do
1/di = -1/4cm - 1/3cm
1/di = -3/12cm - 4/12cm
1/di = -7/12cm
1/di = -12/7cm = -1.7cm

The part where I have a confusion is colored in red.
I've been questioning, why -7/12cm was flipped in the last step.

If that example was to be solved as decimal numbers it would be;
1/di = -0.250cm^-1 - 0.333cm^-1
1/di = -1/0.583cm
then in this case, I would understand why the number has been reversed because it was ^-1
but when solving in fraction, I get confused..

Could anybody please explain for me?
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nblu said:
1/di = 1/f - 1/do
1/di = -1/4cm - 1/3cm
1/di = -3/12cm - 4/12cm
1/di = -7/12cm
1/di = -12/7cm = -1.7cm

The part where I have a confusion is colored in red.
I've been questioning, why -7/12cm was flipped in the last step.
I assume it's a typo. That last line should have read:
di = -12/7cm = -1.7cm

I assume that you understand that: 1/x = a/b can be inverted (as long as you're not dividing by zero) to become x = b/a.

Hello,

I can explain the reason for the negative sign and the flipping of the fraction in the last step of the example. The thin lens equation is used to calculate the position of the image formed by a lens. In this equation, the sign of the focal distance (f) is important because it indicates whether the lens is a converging lens (positive f) or a diverging lens (negative f).

In the given example, we are dealing with a diverging lens, which has a negative focal distance of -4cm. When we substitute this value into the equation, it becomes:

1/f = 1/di + 1/do
1/-4cm = 1/di + 1/3cm

As you can see, the negative sign is already included in the value of f. Therefore, when we solve for 1/di, we need to keep the negative sign in the equation. This is why the fraction is flipped in the last step. It is a mathematical rule that when we divide by a negative number, the fraction gets flipped.

To further clarify, let's look at the decimal calculation:

1/di = -0.250cm^-1 - 0.333cm^-1
1/di = -0.583cm^-1
1/di = -1/0.583cm

In this case, we are dealing with the reciprocal of the focal distance, which is -0.583cm^-1. When we convert this to a fraction, we get -1/0.583cm, which is the same as -7/12cm. This is why the fraction is flipped in the last step.

I hope this explanation helps to clear your confusion. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. As a scientist, it is my job to help others understand scientific concepts. Thank you.

1. What is the thin lens equation for diverging lenses?

The thin lens equation for diverging lenses is 1/f = 1/u + 1/v, where f is the focal length of the lens, u is the distance of the object from the lens, and v is the distance of the image from the lens.

2. How do you determine the focal length of a diverging lens?

The focal length of a diverging lens can be determined by using the thin lens equation and measuring the distances of the object and image from the lens. Alternatively, it can also be found by measuring the distance from the lens to the point where the light rays converge.

3. What is the difference between a diverging lens and a converging lens?

A diverging lens is a lens that causes light rays to spread out, whereas a converging lens causes light rays to converge at a point. This results in a diverging lens having a negative focal length, while a converging lens has a positive focal length.

4. Can the thin lens equation be used for thick lenses?

No, the thin lens equation is only applicable for thin lenses where the thickness of the lens is negligible compared to the focal length. For thick lenses, a more complex equation known as the thick lens equation must be used.

5. How does the distance of the object affect the image produced by a diverging lens?

The distance of the object from a diverging lens affects the size and orientation of the image produced. If the object is closer to the lens, the image will be smaller and upright. As the object moves further away, the image becomes larger and eventually becomes inverted.