1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin-lens equation

1. Oct 13, 2004 #1
    Hey. I understand the thin-lens equation and that it is 1/distance from lens to object + 1/distance from lens to image = 1/focal length. But, I was wondering how/why it works. If someone knows, I would appriciate the help. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2004 #2

krab

Science Advisor

The idea of a lens is to have a linear relationship between the distance a ray passes through off axis, and the amount the ray is kinked on passing through. Let us call the former quantity [itex]r[/itex] and the latter [itex]\Delta\theta[/itex]. The proportionality constant is [itex]f[/itex], the focal length. So we have
    [tex]r=f\Delta\theta[/tex]
    If a ray comes from a point on axis a distance [itex]o[/itex] upstream of the lens, and if [itex]\theta_o[/itex] is the angle, then for small angles, [itex]\theta_o=r/o[/itex].
    If this ray comes to a point on axis a distance [itex]i[/itex] downstream of the lens, and if [itex]\theta_i[/itex] is the angle, then for small angles, [itex]\theta_i=r/i[/itex].
    Now, realize that
    [tex]\Delta\theta=\theta_o+\theta_i[/tex]
    and you have your formula.

4. Oct 14, 2004 #3
    Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook