This guy is stealing my bases

• Thread starter KendrickLamar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bases
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the work done by friction in a physics problem involving a force vector and displacement. The solution is found to be -661J using common methods, with the work done by friction being conventionally negative due to the direction of the force. The importance of posting solutions and not deleting problems is also emphasized.
KendrickLamar
This guy is stealing my bases!

nvm delete this please i got it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I got the same ballpark (get it?) answer, -661J, using both common methods:

[itex]W = \int^{x_{f}}_{x_{i}} F_{k} . ds = F_{k} . s = -Fs[/itex]

where F (the force vector) is given by [itex]\frac{m\Delta v}{\Delta t}[/itex] where Δt is given by [itex]\Delta t = \frac{2\Delta x}{\Delta v}[/itex]

as well as

[itex]W_{k} = \Delta K = -\frac{m(\Delta v)^{2}}{2}[/itex]

so I would say you can most likely enter -664J assuming you minded your p's and q's properly with your significant figures. (The smallest number of significant figures I saw was actually 2, in the 68kg, so that might be an issue.)

But the work done by friction is by convention usually negative: the force of friction categorically acts in the opposite direction of the displacement, so the dot product of the friction-force function and the differential displacement will always be negative. (Because [itex]\theta = \pi[/itex].)

EDIT: I'm glad that you were able to get the correct answer on your own. That said, threads where the problem has been solved are often useful to other people who might happen upon it via Google or other means, so that they can see how to derive the solution for a similar problem. Please don't make a habit of deleting your problems and attempted solutions. And when you come up with a solution, please post it and how you got it. For example, in this case where the difference appears to have simply been the sign of your answer, that fact can be very instructive; it's often helpful for first-year physics students to see that the work done by friction has a negative value, and it's often even more helpful for them to see why it has a negative value.

1. How does this person stealing your bases affect your research?

Theft of research materials can have a significant impact on a scientist's work. It can delay or even derail the progress of a study, leading to wasted time, resources, and funding.

2. What should I do if I suspect someone is stealing my bases?

If you have reason to believe that someone is stealing your bases, it is important to take action immediately. Notify your supervisor or lab manager and document any evidence you have.

3. Is there a way to prevent someone from stealing my bases?

There are several measures you can take to protect your bases from theft. These include securing your lab and equipment, limiting access to sensitive materials, and monitoring your research progress closely.

4. Can I press charges against someone who stole my bases?

If you have evidence that someone has stolen your bases, you may be able to press charges. However, it is important to consult with legal counsel and follow the proper procedures for reporting theft.

5. How can I recover my stolen bases?

If your bases have been stolen, it may be difficult to recover them. However, you can try reaching out to the person who you suspect stole them and asking for their return. You can also work with your institution's security team to investigate and potentially retrieve the stolen materials.