This is an easy problem that I don't know why I'm having trouble with it

• Thread starter Grayfox8604
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is (R + sL)(1/sC) and the solution is (1/C)(s + R/L). The mistake made was factoring out the s when there is no sR term, and the correct solution is found by simplifying fractions and canceling terms.
Grayfox8604

Homework Statement

So I've been doing some homework and I came to a problem that I'm not getting. I know it's simple math but what am I forgetting? The question is:
(R + sL)(1/sC)

What I did is:
(R/sC)+(sL/sC)= (R+sL)/sC= (R+L)/C=?

But the answer is (1/C)(s + R/L). So what did I do wrong and could you show me step by step on how to get that answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't factor out the s like that, there is no sR term, so you shouldn't be getting (R+sL)/sC= (R+L)/C

edit: But yes, you really should check you typed the answer/problem correctly...

Last edited:
[tex]\frac{1}{sC}\left(R + sL\right)=\frac{R}{sC}+\frac{sL}{sC}=\frac{R}{sC}+\frac{L}{C}=\frac{1}{C}\left(\frac{R}{s}+L\right)[/tex]

You need to cancel things with every term when you're simplifying fractions. And are you sure you typed the answer correctly?

1. How can I approach this problem if it seems difficult?

One way to approach a difficult problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try looking at the problem from a different perspective or seeking help from others.

2. What are some common mistakes people make when trying to solve this problem?

Some common mistakes include misinterpreting the problem, not fully understanding the concepts involved, or making careless errors. It's important to carefully read and understand the problem and double-check your work for any mistakes.

3. Is there a specific strategy or method that is helpful for solving this type of problem?

There are various problem-solving strategies and methods that can be helpful, such as trial and error, working backwards, or using diagrams and visuals. It may also depend on the specific problem and your personal learning style.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Practice is key to improving problem-solving skills. You can also try challenging yourself with different types of problems and seeking feedback from others. Reflecting on your problem-solving process and identifying areas for improvement can also be helpful.

5. What resources are available to help me with this problem?

There are many resources available, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor. Additionally, there may be study guides or practice problems specifically for this type of problem.