Why is belly button fluff usually blue-gray?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a group of individuals discussing the phenomenon of belly button fluff and its color. They debated whether it was blue or white, and whether it was caused by pressure or sweat. One person proposed an experiment to test the color of the fluff, and others volunteered to participate. However, after two days, some participants had to withdraw due to the unpleasant smell caused by wearing the same shirt for an extended period of time. The conversation ended with the mystery of belly button fluff remaining unsolved.
Is *Kia* wolram's missus or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
hahahaha daughter!

*Kia* said:
hahahaha daughter!
Yet you still seem normal. :confused: :biggrin:

Really gosh darn - must work harder :rofl: :tongue: :biggrin:

*Kia* said:
hahahaha daughter!

Close. At least you didn't choose to have him around, so it's not really your fault or anything!

brewnog said:
Close. At least you didn't choose to have him around, so it's not really your fault or anything!
You are just, SO crule i am wounded beyond redemstion, i hope you all have
a good 5th of november.

*Kia* said:
hahahaha daughter!
Welcome to PF daughter of wolram!

You know your dad is quite well known and respected here!

I look forward to more of your posts.

(oh, and you get a free fish...you might want to pass that up though, it's about 6 months old) :yuck:

Moonbear said:
Better keep it shaved though...that could get scary with some belly fur added to it.

Alright now stop that! You made me spit out my coffee. :grumpy:

*Kia* said:
hahahaha daughter!

hihihihi hahahaha daughter of Wolram. :smile:

My dog is growling like crazy @ the monkey!
And hi Kia, daughter of Wolram!

Ivan Seeking said:
hihihihi hahahaha daughter of Wolram. :smile:

Don't rub it in, the poor lass probably gets mocked enough as it is!

Ivan Seeking said:
Alright now stop that! You made me spit out my coffee. :grumpy:
You and Evo should start a support group for that. :tongue:

Oh my, I use "LOL" in forums more often than, I am sure, is acceptable, but blow me down with a feather, I actually did a genuine LOL or two reading that. (I'm sure there are too many comma's in that sentence :bugeye: )

My "intelligence" does lay in a different direction to that of my dear daddy (but then he has had a little longer to acquire his knowledge) and the razor sharp wit is definitely far from as honed.

Yes, watch the fur. It not only helps hold in the fluff, but once a friend placed a butter mint in a chap's navel, and it became quite a sticky situation.

Wouldn't you know, wiki made a page on this, navel lint.
A fellow from Australia (Karl Kruszelnicki) made a systematic survey regarding belly fluff and these were some of his findings:

* Navel lint consists primarily of stray fibres from one's clothing, mixed with some dead skin cells and strands of body hair. The rotting cells can create unpleasant odors.
* Contrary to expectations, navel lint appears to migrate upwards from underwear rather than downwards from shirts or tops. The migration process is the result of the frictional drag of body hair on underwear, which drags stray fibres up into the navel.
* Women experience less navel lint because of their finer and shorter body hairs. Conversely, older men experience it more because of their coarser and more numerous hairs.
* Navel lint's characteristic blue-gray tint is likely the averaging of the colors of fibres present in clothing; the same color as clothes dryer lint.