This is clearly symmetric

• Thread starter physlad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetric
In summary, the stress-energy tensor, \theta^{\mu\nu}, is symmetric because the metric, g^{\mu\nu}, is symmetric, and the first term, (\partial^\mu\phi)(\partial^\nu\phi), is the product of two derivatives which are symmetric. Tensors can be symmetrized or antisymmetrized to see which part remains and which part is killed in a product with another tensor. If one tensor is explicitly symmetric or antisymmetric, the product with another tensor will only have the symmetric or antisymmetric part remaining, respectively.
physlad
I was reading about the momentum-energy tensor (or stress-energy tensor), at one point the author says,
"
[tex]\theta^{\mu\nu} = (\partial^\mu\phi)(\partial^\nu\phi) - g^{\mu\nu}L[/tex]

This is clearly symmetric in [tex]\mu[/tex] and [tex]\nu[/tex]."

[tex]\theta^{\mu\nu}[/tex]: is the stress-energy tensor
[tex]\phi[/tex] is a scalar field
[tex]g^{\mu\nu}[/tex] is the metric (+---)
L is the lagrangian density

My question (I'm not an expert in tensors) is how do you see that it's "clearly" symmetric? another silly question: when do we need to symmetrize and antisymmetrize tensors?

Please, tell me guys if this isn't the right place for my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's symmetric because:

- g is symmetric since it's the metric, thus the second term is symmetric.
- The first term is the product of two derivatives, so is symmetric (i.e. [itex]\partial^0\phi \partial^1\phi \equiv \partial^1\phi\partial^0\phi[/itex], and similarly for other values of mu and nu.)

physlad said:
... when do we need to symmetrize and antisymmetrize tensors?...

Sometimes one has a product of a symmetric tensor with another tensor which is not symmetric nor antisymmetric, then one can show that the antisymmetric part of the second is killed by the first, the same thing occurs for the antisymmetric case, this is why we need to antisymmetrise and symmetrise tensors: to see which part remains and which part is killed...

Suppose to have a generic tensor T, which isn't symmetric or antisymmetric.
You can ALWAYS write it as sum of its symmetric part with its antisymmetric part.

e.g. for a rank-2 tensor

[tex] T^{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}(T^{\mu\nu}+T^{\nu\mu}) + \frac{1}{2}(T^{\mu\nu}-T^{\nu\mu})[/tex]

On the right-hand side, the first term [itex]\left(\bullet+\bullet\right)[/itex] is a symmetric tensor, while the second [itex]\left(\bullet-\bullet\right)[/itex] is antisymmetric!

Hence, in general: [itex]T=T_S+T_A[/itex].

Now...if you have a product between tensors, and you know that one of them is explicitly symmetric [itex]S[/itex] or antisymmetric [itex]A[/itex]...you can write:

[itex]ST=ST_S+ST_A[/itex]

[itex]AT=AT_S+AT_A[/itex]

Of course the product between a symmetric and an antisymmetric tensor is zero, i.e. [itex]SA=AS=0[/itex]!

And thus

[itex]ST=ST_S+ST_A=ST_S[/itex]

[itex]AT=AT_S+AT_A=AT_A[/itex].

I can confirm that the statement "This is clearly symmetric" is accurate. To understand why, let's first define what symmetry means in this context. A tensor is symmetric if it is unchanged when its indices are interchanged. In other words, if we swap the positions of \mu and \nu, the resulting tensor should be the same as the original.

Now, looking at the equation provided, we can see that the first term on the right-hand side is a product of two partial derivatives, each with one index of \mu and one index of \nu. This means that interchanging the indices will not change the result, as both derivatives will still act on the same scalar field \phi. The second term, on the other hand, has a metric tensor that is symmetric by definition, so swapping the indices will not change the result either. Therefore, the entire expression is symmetric in \mu and \nu.

To answer your second question, we need to symmetrize or antisymmetrize tensors when working with equations that require them to have certain symmetries. For example, in the context of general relativity, the stress-energy tensor must be symmetric in order to satisfy the conservation of energy-momentum equation. Similarly, in electromagnetism, the electromagnetic field tensor must be antisymmetric in order to satisfy Maxwell's equations. These symmetries are necessary for the equations to accurately describe physical phenomena. I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of tensors.

1. What does it mean for something to be "clearly symmetric"?

"Clearly symmetric" refers to a property or characteristic of an object or system that exhibits symmetry, meaning that it can be divided into two equal parts that are mirror images of each other. This symmetry is easily recognizable or apparent without the need for complex analysis or calculations.

2. How can we determine if something is "clearly symmetric"?

The best way to determine if something is "clearly symmetric" is to visually assess its shape or structure and see if it can be divided into two equal parts that are mirror images of each other. If this is the case, then the object or system can be considered "clearly symmetric."

3. What are some examples of things that are "clearly symmetric"?

Some common examples of things that are "clearly symmetric" include geometric shapes such as circles, squares, and equilateral triangles, as well as natural objects like human faces, butterfly wings, and snowflakes.

4. Why is symmetry important in science?

Symmetry is an important concept in science because it can provide insights into the underlying structure and organization of objects and systems. It can also help scientists to make predictions and understand patterns and relationships between different phenomena.

5. Can something be "clearly symmetric" in multiple ways?

Yes, something can exhibit multiple forms of symmetry, such as rotational symmetry, reflectional symmetry, or translational symmetry. In these cases, the object or system can be divided into two or more equal parts that are mirror images or translations of each other.