This was the first problem on my test

• Thread starter SELFMADE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary: = \frac{f(b+\frac{1}{2}) - f(a+\frac{1}{2})}{b+\frac{1}{2}} = \frac{f(b+\frac{1}{2}) - f(a+\frac{1}{2})}{2} = \frac{f(b+\frac{1}{2})}{4} = \frac{1}{4}
SELFMADE

Homework Statement

Find the average rate of change of function g(t)=3+tan(t) under interval [-pi/4;pi/4]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck at (-tan(-pi/4))/pi

Physics news on Phys.org
What are sin(pi/4) and cos(pi/4)?

Same. So tan(pi/4) is 1?

Of course, you say your difficulty is with
[tex]-tan(-\pi/4)/\pi= -\frac{sin(-\pi/4)}{cos(-\pi/4)}[/tex]
What is that?

Last edited by a moderator:
So my next question is: what happens to the sine and the cosine when you put a minus in the argument. In other words: how does sin(-x) relate to sin(x) and how does cos(-x) relate to cos(x)?

It is the inverse

SELFMADE said:
It is the inverse

-x => you measure clockwise from the horizontal axis, draw for quadrants and draw an acute angle clockwise from the positive horizontal axis. What quadrant does it lie in? Is sin(x) positive or negative in this quadrant?

it lies on IV quadrant. sin is only positive in quadrant II, so it is negative.

SELFMADE said:

thus sin(-x)=-sinx, do the same for cos(x)

SELFMADE said:

? Sine is positive in the I and III quadrants. It is negative in the II and IV quadrants.

SELFMADE said:

? Sine is positive in the I and III quadrants. It is negative in the II and IV quadrants.

But, as Rockfreak667 pointed out, it is much simpler to use the fact that sine is an odd function, cosine an even function, that to worry about "quadrants".

HallsofIvy said:

But, as Rockfreak667 pointed out, it is much simpler to use the fact that sine is an odd function, cosine an even function, that to worry about "quadrants".

That's half right. Sine is positive in the quadrants I and II, and negative in quadrants III and IV. Cosine is positive in quadrants I and IV, and negative in quadrants II and III. As a result, tangent is positive in quadrants I and III, and negative in quadrants II and IV.

So the answer is -1/pi?

Got 88 on my first calculus test. If I had this problem correct would have gotten an A.

SELFMADE said:
So the answer is -1/pi?
I don't think so. Your answer should be positive. The average rate of change of a function f on an interval [a, b] is
[tex]\frac{f(b) - f(a)}{b - a}[/tex]

What does "This was the first problem on my test" mean?

"This was the first problem on my test" simply means that the problem mentioned was the first one that the person encountered on their test.

Why is it important to mention that a problem was the first one on a test?

Mentioning that a problem was the first one on a test can provide context and help the person better explain their thought process and approach to solving the problem.

What if a different problem was first on someone else's test?

Each test is unique and may have different problem orders. It is important to focus on your own test and not compare it to others.

Does mentioning the first problem on a test affect the outcome of the test?

No, mentioning the first problem on a test does not affect the outcome. The person's understanding and performance on the entire test will determine the outcome.

How can mentioning the first problem on a test be helpful in studying for future tests?

Mentioning the first problem on a test can help the person identify their strengths and weaknesses and adjust their study methods accordingly for future tests.