Thomas Precession, Angular Momentum, and Rotating Reference Frames

In summary: Now I'm confused. Are you telling me that \left(\frac{d\mathbf{x}}{dt}\right)_{nonrot} is not, in fact, the velocity as measured in the lab frame? If not, what is it?In summary, the equation relating the physical vector G in a rotating vs. non-rotating reference frame is as follows:\left(\frac{d\mathbf{G}}{dt}\right)_{nonrot} = \left(\frac{d\mathbf{G}}{dt}\right)_{rest frame} + \boldsymbol{\omega}_T \times \mathbf{G}
Izzhov
If any of you have the Third Edition of Classical Electrodynamics by John David Jackson, turn to section 11.8, as that's where I'm getting all this from. If not, you should still be able to follow along.

In said section, Jackson gives us this equation that relates any physical vector G in a rotating vs. non-rotating reference frame:

[itex]\left(\frac{d\mathbf{G}}{dt}\right)_{nonrot} = \left(\frac{d\mathbf{G}}{dt}\right)_{rest frame} + \boldsymbol{\omega}_T \times \mathbf{G}[/itex]

where

[itex]\boldsymbol{\omega}_T = \frac{\gamma^2}{\gamma+1}\frac{\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{v}}{c^2}[/itex]

"where a is the acceleration in the laboratory frame," according to the textbook. Also, gamma is defined using v, the velocity of the particle in the lab frame.

Ok. So I decided to check this by setting G = x, the position vector, for a particle that is undergoing circular motion in the laboratory frame. So we have

[itex]\left(\frac{d\mathbf{x}}{dt}\right)_{nonrot} = \mathbf{v}[/itex]

and

[itex]\left(\frac{d\mathbf{x}}{dt}\right)_{rest frame} = 0[/itex] because the particle doesn't have any velocity in its own frame.

So far so good. Now, this implies that [itex]\boldsymbol{\omega}_T \times \mathbf{x} = \mathbf{v}[/itex]. So if we can get this result from the definition of [itex]\boldsymbol{\omega}_T[/itex], we're golden. However, if you use the fact that [itex]|a| = \frac{v^2}{|x|}[/itex] for circular motion as well as the fact that a is perpendicular to v, and that a is parallel (really antiparallel) to x, and carefully apply the right hand rule, you'll find, after the algebraic dust settles, that

[itex]\boldsymbol{\omega}_T \times \mathbf{G} = (1-\gamma)\mathbf{v}[/itex]

So this is definitely a contradiction. Because it implies that [itex]\mathbf{v} = (1-\gamma)\mathbf{v}[/itex]. Can anyone tell me where this went horribly horribly wrong? I worked on this with my professor for two hours today and we couldn't figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could it be that you dropped some ##\gamma## factors in ##|a| = \frac{v^2}{|x|}## ?

Mentz114 said:
Could it be that you dropped some ##\gamma## factors in ##|a| = \frac{v^2}{|x|}## ?

I don't believe I did, because if the book is to be believed both a and v are being measured in the lab frame, which would mean there's no Lorentz transformations going on there.

Izzhov said:
[itex]\boldsymbol{\omega}_T = \frac{\gamma^2}{\gamma+1}\frac{\mathbf{a}\times\mathbf{v}}{c^2}[/itex]

"where a is the acceleration in the laboratory frame," according to the textbook. Also, gamma is defined using v, the velocity of the particle in the lab frame.

Ok. So I decided to check this by setting G = x, the position vector, for a particle that is undergoing circular motion in the laboratory frame. So we have

[itex]\left(\frac{d\mathbf{x}}{dt}\right)_{nonrot} = \mathbf{v}[/itex]

and

[itex]\left(\frac{d\mathbf{x}}{dt}\right)_{rest frame} = 0[/itex] because the particle doesn't have any velocity in its own frame.

Wasn't v supposed to be the velocity in the lab frame?

Izzhov said:
I don't believe I did, because if the book is to be believed both a and v are being measured in the lab frame, which would mean there's no Lorentz transformations going on there.
V is a relative velocity, it doesn't matter what frame it's measured in.

Another point is that ##\omega##,##v## and ##x## are mutually orthogonal if the origin is the centre of rotation. ##v## and ##x## are in the plane of rotation and ##\omega## points away from it.

Last edited:
Izzhov, You misunderstand the meaning of the Thomas precession. It is not simply the usual difference between a rotating frame vs the lab frame. It is a relativistic effect ON TOP OF the usual rotation. In the nonrelativistic limit it goes to zero. Hence the (γ -1) factor.

Bill_K said:
Izzhov, You misunderstand the meaning of the Thomas precession. It is not simply the usual difference between a rotating frame vs the lab frame. It is a relativistic effect ON TOP OF the usual rotation. In the nonrelativistic limit it goes to zero. Hence the (γ -1) factor.

Now I'm confused. Are you telling me that [itex]\left(\frac{d\mathbf{x}}{dt}\right)_{nonrot}[/itex] is not, in fact, the velocity as measured in the lab frame? If not, what is it?

1. What is Thomas Precession?

Thomas Precession is a relativistic correction to the classical equation of precession in a rotating reference frame. It takes into account the effects of the rotation of the reference frame on the precession of a spinning object.

2. How is Angular Momentum related to Thomas Precession?

Angular Momentum is a conserved quantity in a closed system, meaning it remains constant even if the frame of reference is rotating. Thomas Precession is a correction to the equation of precession that takes into account the effects of this rotation on the angular momentum of a spinning object.

3. Can Thomas Precession be observed in everyday life?

No, Thomas Precession is a relatively small effect and is only noticeable in systems with high velocities or strong gravitational fields, such as the motion of planets or particles in accelerators.

4. How does a rotating reference frame affect the behavior of objects?

A rotating reference frame can cause objects to exhibit non-intuitive behaviors, such as the Coriolis effect and centrifugal force. It also affects the precession of spinning objects, leading to the correction of Thomas Precession.

5. How does the concept of rotating reference frames apply to general relativity?

In general relativity, the concept of rotating reference frames is important in understanding the curvature of spacetime. The rotation of a reference frame can cause objects to follow curved paths, which can be described by the equations of general relativity.