Thoroughly confused on self-inductance

• Thread starter darksyesider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, self-inductance is the ability of a conductor to resist changes in current by generating an EMF. The basic principles of self-induction are the same as mutual induction, where a change in current causes a change in magnetic field and generates an EMF. The EMF always opposes the change in current. When calculating flux through a surface, any surface can be used and the result depends only on the closed curve that is its boundary. The choice of surface should simplify the problem, taking into account the symmetry of the physical situation.
darksyesider
I am havingA LOT of trouble with self-inductance and have spent 10+ hours watching videos on youtube, and I'm still getting nowhere.

From what I understand:

self inductance = the ability of a thing (not sure what) to resist the change in voltage (and thereby causing current to change more steadily. (is this right?)

In my textbook derivation of the self-inductance of a coaxial cable, they took a cross section like here:

http://www.phys.nthu.edu.tw/~thschang/notes/GP32.pdf (page 8)

I don't really get this at all intuitively, because can't you choose any cross section?? How do you know where to find the surface which you want to get the flux of?

I guess the problem is that, I feel as if you need to multiply the result by 2pi*r to get the whole entire cylinder, however this is not true.

Please help (and if you happen to know a good analogy for self-inductance, please share because i am very confused )

Physics news on Phys.org
darksyesider said:
self inductance = the ability of a thing (not sure what) to resist the change in voltage (and thereby causing current to change more steadily. (is this right?)

Self inductance is the creation of a voltage in a conductor when the current through that conductor changes. It is important to understand that the basic principles of self induction are no different than mutual induction. A change in current through a conductor causes the magnetic field generated by that conductor to change. This change in the magnetic field generates an EMF in the conductor itself as well as any nearby conductors.

The EMF generated in self induction always tries to resist the change in the current. That is, if the current is increasing, the EMF will be against the direction of current. It will oppose it. If instead the current is decreasing, the EMF generated will act to keep the current flowing.

Thanks. Also, in the equation:## emf = \dfrac{d\phi_B}{dt}##

how do you know which surface to take the flux of?

You can take any surface and calculate flux through it. The result does not depend on the shape of the surface, only on the closed curve that is its boundary.

As Jano L. said the law applies to any surface. When solving problems you should for a surface that simplifies the problem as much as possible often taking the symmetry of the physical situation into account.

1. What is self-inductance?

Self-inductance is a property of a circuit or a coil that causes a change in the current flowing through it to induce a voltage in the same circuit or coil. It is represented by the symbol L and is measured in henries (H).

2. How does self-inductance affect a circuit?

Self-inductance can cause a delay in the flow of current through a circuit, as the induced voltage opposes the change in current. This can result in a decrease in current and a buildup of energy in the inductor. It also plays a role in maintaining the stability and continuity of a circuit.

3. What factors affect the amount of self-inductance in a circuit?

The amount of self-inductance in a circuit depends on the number of turns in the coil, the size and shape of the coil, the material used for the core of the coil, and the presence of any nearby conductors or magnetic fields.

4. How is self-inductance calculated?

The formula for calculating self-inductance is L = (N^2 * μ * A) / l, where N is the number of turns in the coil, μ is the permeability of the material, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil.

5. What are some real-world applications of self-inductance?

Self-inductance is used in various electrical and electronic devices, such as transformers, motors, generators, and inductors. It is also used in wireless power transfer systems and radio frequency circuits, where it helps to tune and filter signals.