Thought Experiment Involving Quantum Entanglement

In summary, the conversation discusses a thought experiment involving quantum entanglement and its potential violation of special relativity. However, it is concluded that entanglement does not transmit usable information and therefore does not violate special relativity. The conversation also mentions the concept of quantum teleportation and how it relates to entanglement. It is suggested to think about the example of two socks to understand the concept better.
Dahaka14
My friend just gave me a good thought experiment involving quantum entanglement violating special relativity that I can't seem to refute.
There are two immortal people A and B. A and B synchronize their clocks far away from any gravitational influence (say spot Y). B departs for spot(at an infinitely slow speed...therefore they do not lose synchronization) X a 1000 light years away from the place they synchronized them. There is a pair of electrons quantum entangled at spot X and Y. Before leaving A told B to kill himself if the electron that he measured was spin down. After a certain pre-decided interval A and B both make the measurement. A measures that his electron is spin up. Therefore, B is dead. Does that violate special relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignoring the irrelevant information in that rather convoluted question, all that's being asked is whether entanglement violates special relativity. Which there is already a https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=299687" on right now.

The general consensus is no, because entanglement does not transmit any usable information in itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
This doesn't refute my friend's thought experiment. Please tell me exactly which part of it breaks down in its argument for violation of special relativity.

Also, I did not post it in that thread in fear of it getting pushed to the back of the discussion. I understand that no information is transferred, but in this case isn't there information being transferred in that you know the other guy will be dead after you measure it?

Forget quantum mechanics. You can do the same thing with two socks, one black and one red. A sees he has a red sock, and then instantaneously knows B has a black sock. That doesn't violate SR either.

In fact there is a reference frame where A knows that B is dead BEFORE B commits suicide.

However, it does not allow to makeany 'i killed my own father' paradoxes, so relativity is still valid.

thanks guys, i REALLY understand it now, i know what's going on here

i'm not just making stuff up to get jollies going, I'm planning on being a theoretical physicist myself, I'm majoring in math and physics, so I'm trying to be serious here, and a good physicist should be able to pick this thought experiment apart by saying where it fails

There's nothing to prevent knowledge about something far away appearing instantly. (sock example)

There is no information transfer: Information transfer require B be able to send some sort of message to A, which he can't. A will instantly know something, but B has no control over what that is. No information being sent, no violation of SR.

I believe it is more complicated: there is some information sent using superlimunal (entanglement) channel (S), but it can't be decoded without another part, sent traditionally (T).

S can not be decrypted without T, but T alone is not enough, so it proves that S contains some informations.

It is like sending an enrypted ZIP file instantly but sending a password by DHL. Without paper mail you can open ZIP, but still password alone does not contain all information.

I think in this situation there is nothing at all being transferred (at least nothing usable). But you're right in that something (which is not information) can be "sent" using entanglement. Combined with a classical channel, this is quantum teleportation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation

Dahaka14 said:
thanks guys, i REALLY understand it now, i know what's going on here

i'm not just making stuff up to get jollies going, I'm planning on being a theoretical physicist myself, I'm majoring in math and physics, so I'm trying to be serious here, and a good physicist should be able to pick this thought experiment apart by saying where it fails

You have received serious answers. Think about the socks. For your example, they are sufficient as an explanation.

The mystery of quantum entanglement is more complex than your simple example. See ilja-schmelzer.de/realism/game.php for some example which cannot be explained with socks.

What is a thought experiment involving quantum entanglement?

A thought experiment involving quantum entanglement is a theoretical scenario that explores the concept of two or more particles being connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are physically separated.

How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement works by linking two or more particles in a way that they share the same quantum state. This means that any change to one particle will be reflected in the other, no matter how far apart they are. This phenomenon is known as non-locality and is one of the most puzzling aspects of quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of quantum entanglement in science?

Quantum entanglement has significant implications in science, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It challenges our understanding of the physical world and raises questions about the nature of reality. It also has practical applications in quantum computing and cryptography.

Can quantum entanglement be observed in everyday life?

No, quantum entanglement is a phenomenon that can only be observed at the subatomic level. It is not something that can be seen or experienced in everyday life. However, its effects can be observed through experiments and measurements.

What is the relationship between quantum entanglement and Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. However, quantum entanglement seems to violate this principle as changes in one particle can seemingly affect the other instantaneously, regardless of distance. This has led to ongoing debates and research on the compatibility of quantum mechanics and relativity.