Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thoughts on Quantum Cosmology?

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1
    I just finished reading a book called Three Roads to Quantum Gravity, and in it the author mentioned a few arguments surrounding quantum cosmology. He did not seem too fond of it, but to me (relatively inexperienced) combining the two makes a lot of sense. What are your thoughts on it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2015 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are they (arguments)?

4. Jan 8, 2015 #3
    Argument was a poor word choice, he mentioned a few topics I should say. He mentions that you must abandon a few approaches to quantum mechanics and a few other minor things. It was a small part of the book but it was very interesting so I was more or less looking for opinions on quantum cosmology as a whole.

5. Jan 8, 2015 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Three Roads to Quantum Gravity by Lee Smolin (Basic, 2001) Approaches discussed include String Theory, M-Theory and Loop Quantum Gravity, then Smolin's preferred route.

Since 2001 Smolin has written The Trouble With Physics and Time Reborn, and I believe advocates most strongly for a background-independent physics as in his new (December 2014) The Singular Universe and the Reality of Time: A Proposal in Natural Philosophy by Lee Smolin and Roberto Mangabeira Unger, Cambridge University Press.

In all honesty, I have abandoned my attempt to read 'Singular Universe' after reading and enjoying Smolin's latter section of the book but foundering on RMU's first portion. I believe that RMU dictated in academic Portuguese and the translated sentence structure is too foreign to convey the complicated hypothesis.

6. Jan 8, 2015 #5
    That is it!! Great book nevertheless.

7. Jan 8, 2015 #6

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Argument is a fine word. It properly means defense. It is vulgarly used as argumentative and quarrelsome.

8. Jan 8, 2015 #7

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Quantum cosmology is more than just a combination of quantum mechanics and cosmology. Quantum cosmology is (usually) a very specific idea of using loop-quantum-gravity to estimate what would happen if we have a quantum bounce instead of a big bang singularity.

Loop quantum gravity is currently a fairly speculative attempt to reconcile quantum mechanics and gravity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook