Three-Body Problem: Calculate Force on Asteroid M1

• Thread starter MrRandom66
  • Start date
In summary, The asteroid of mass 1 experiences a resultant gravitational force of 5.7 x 10^-3 due to the forces exerted by asteroids 2 and 3.
MrRandom66

Homework Statement

Three asteroids of masses M1 = 1.00 ×10^6 kg, M2 = 2.00 ×10^7 kg and M3 = 3.00 ×10^7 kg can be found at the positions r1 = (0, 0) m, r2 = (1 ×10^3, 0) m and r3 = (0, 6 ×10^2) m respectively. Calculate the resultant gravitational force on the asteroid of mass M1.

Homework Equations

F= (G m1 m2 m3 / r^2) r (this second r with a caret ^ and in bold type, thus being a unit vector)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm usually pretty good at equations, but what has confused me is how to use the vectors in the equation. As I'm pretty sure the answer will require a vector which has a direction and magnitude, I'm not really sure where to begin with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Plot the asteroids on a coordinate system. Find the magnitude and direction of the gravitational forces from asteroids 2 and 3 on asteroid 1. Add the two vectors together to get resultant vector. Calculate magnitude and direction of resultant vector.

Three Body Problem

deleted

Last edited:

MrRandom66 said:
Am I right in believing I have to calculate the distance from M1 to M2, and from M1 to M3, add togethter the vectors, to find a new one.
No.

First calculate the force that M2 exerts on M1. That will involve find the distance between them, but that's easily gotten from the coordinates without any calculation. Find the magnitude and direction of that force.

Do the same for the force that M3 exerts on M1.

Then add those two vectors to find the total force on M1.

Doc Al said:
No.

First calculate the force that M2 exerts on M1. That will involve find the distance between them, but that's easily gotten from the coordinates without any calculation. Find the magnitude and direction of that force.

Do the same for the force that M3 exerts on M1.

Then add those two vectors to find the total force on M1.

So, use the equation here? G m1 m2 / r^2 = force 1
G m1 m3 / r^2 = force 2

then force 1 + force 2?

MrRandom66 said:
So, use the equation here? G m1 m2 / r^2 = force 1
G m1 m3 / r^2 = force 2
Yes. Where r is the distance between the masses.
then force 1 + force 2?
Yes, but you must add them as vectors. Direction matters.

Doc Al said:
Yes. Where r is the distance between the masses.

Yes, but you must add them as vectors. Direction matters.

the distance between the masses only depends on m1 and m2, and then m1 and m3 right?

And by adding the vectors, is this where i use pythagarus' therom?

MrRandom66 said:
the distance between the masses only depends on m1 and m2, and then m1 and m3 right?
Right.
And by adding the vectors, is this where i use pythagarus' therom?
Yes.

deleted to clarify

Last edited:
MrRandom66 said:
So, I have G m1 m2 / r^ 2 = 1.3 x 10^-3

G m1 m2 / r^ 2 = 5.6 x 10^-3

(1.3 x 10^-3)^2 + (5.6 x 10^-3)^2 = 2.00000169

this doesn't seem correct.

ok, redone my calcs, to get 5.7 x 10^-3

Completed it, thanks guys!

Last edited:

Related to Three-Body Problem: Calculate Force on Asteroid M1

1. What is the Three-Body Problem?

The Three-Body Problem is a mathematical problem in physics that involves predicting the motion of three objects, such as planets or asteroids, that are interacting with each other through gravitational forces.

2. How is the force on an asteroid calculated in the Three-Body Problem?

In order to calculate the force on an asteroid in the Three-Body Problem, we use Newton's Law of Gravitation which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. We also take into account the gravitational forces exerted by the other two bodies in the system.

3. Why is it important to calculate the force on an asteroid in the Three-Body Problem?

Calculating the force on an asteroid in the Three-Body Problem is important because it helps us understand the motion and behavior of objects in our solar system. It also allows us to make predictions about the potential impact of an asteroid on Earth and helps us develop strategies for mitigating any potential risks.

4. What factors affect the force on an asteroid in the Three-Body Problem?

The force on an asteroid in the Three-Body Problem is affected by several factors, including the masses of the three bodies involved, their distances from each other, and their velocities. Other factors such as the shape and composition of the asteroid may also have an impact on the force.

5. How do scientists use the Three-Body Problem to study the solar system?

Scientists use the Three-Body Problem to study the solar system by using mathematical models and simulations to predict the motion of objects such as planets and asteroids. This allows them to make observations and test hypotheses about the structure and dynamics of our solar system, as well as potential future scenarios such as asteroid impacts.