Three charges and midpoint

• Thread starter J89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary, The problem involves finding the electric field at a point midway between two charges in an equilateral triangle. Using the formula F=Ke*q/(h)^2, the magnitude of the electric field was calculated to be 144 N for the charge at the midpoint, and 1150 N and 719 N for the charges on the x-axis. To find the total magnitude, the vectors must be added together. To determine the direction, the two charges on the x-axis must be divided and the inverse tangent must be taken. It is important to remember that all quantities are vectors in this problem.
J89

Homework Statement

Three charges are at the corners of an equilateral triangle, as shown in the figure below. Calculate the electric field at a point midway between the two charges on the x-axis.

Magnitude:
Direction below the x-axis in degrees.

Homework Equations

F=Ke*q/(h)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did 1st is since the charge 3.00 is in the midpoint..calculated .500sin60 to get .434
..then I just plugged it in the formula 8.99*10^9 * 3.00*10-6/(.434)^2 to get 144 N

for the two charges on the x axis..

I just divided the distance .500 by 2 to get .250 m and plugged in each charge seperately. I got 1.15*10^3 N and 719 N. Would you have to add them all up to get the total magnitude..and for the direction, I think you need to divide the two charges on the x-axis and take arc tan right? I'm not too sure, but I keep getting this wrong..someone please help.

Attachments

• 15-p-010.gif
    15-p-010.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to remember that all quantities are vectors. So for the total magnitude you can only add the vectors.

Try sorting the numbers you got to the correct component of the Electric field vector.

1. What is the midpoint formula for three charges?

The midpoint formula for three charges is the average of the three charges, or (q1 + q2 + q3)/3.

2. How do I find the distance between two charges using the midpoint formula?

To find the distance between two charges using the midpoint formula, you will need to first find the midpoint between the two charges, and then use the distance formula to calculate the distance between the midpoint and one of the charges.

3. Can the midpoint formula be used for more than three charges?

Yes, the midpoint formula can be used for any number of charges, as long as you have their individual charges and coordinates.

4. What is the significance of the midpoint in relation to three charges?

The midpoint represents the center of the three charges, and can be used to calculate the distance between each charge and the midpoint, as well as the total distance between the charges.

5. Is the midpoint always located between two charges?

No, the midpoint may not always be located between two charges. It depends on the relative positions of the three charges and their individual magnitudes. If one charge is significantly larger than the other two, the midpoint may be closer to that charge than the other two.