Three dimensional dirac function

In summary: Laplacian of r:\nabla^2(r) = \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r^2) = 25. Plug this back into the previous equation to get:\nabla^2 \left( \frac{1}{r} \right) = \frac{-2}{r^2}6. Finally, use the definition of the Dirac delta function in three dimensions \delta^3(r) = \frac{1}{4 \pi} \nabla^2 \left( \frac{1}{r} \right) to
johnkay

Homework Statement

Show that if [tex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex] then
[tex]
\nabla^2 \left( \frac{1}{r} \right) = -4 \pi \delta^3(r)
[/tex]

Homework Equations

I've heard Green's theorem should help me... not quite certain how.

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the divergence of the left hand side and got

[tex]
\nabla \left( \frac{1}{r} \right) = \frac{-1}{r^2}\hat{r}
[/tex]

I guess i should stick [tex]\nabla \cdot \frac{-1}{r^2}\hat{r}[/tex] into the divergence theorem/green's function but how will that show me I am dealing with a dirac delta function in three dimensions?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your inquiry. You are correct in thinking that Green's theorem can help you solve this problem. Here is a step-by-step solution to help you understand how to approach it:

1. Begin by taking the Laplacian of the function 1/r:

\nabla^2 \left( \frac{1}{r} \right) = \nabla \cdot \nabla \left( \frac{1}{r} \right) = \frac{1}{r} \nabla^2(1) + \nabla \cdot \left( \frac{-1}{r^2} \nabla r \right)

2. Simplify the first term using the identity \nabla^2(1) = 0:

\nabla^2 \left( \frac{1}{r} \right) = \nabla \cdot \left( \frac{-1}{r^2} \nabla r \right) = \frac{-1}{r^2} \nabla^2(r) + \nabla \cdot \left( \frac{-1}{r^2} \nabla r \right)

3. Use the vector identity \nabla \cdot (f \nabla g) = f \nabla^2 g + \nabla f \cdot \nabla g to simplify the second term:

\nabla^2 \left( \frac{1}{r} \right) = \frac{-1}{r^2} \nabla^2(r) + \frac{-1}{r^2} \nabla \cdot (\nabla r) = \frac{-1}{r^2} \nabla^2(r)

4. Now, use the definition of the Laplacian in spherical coordinates \nabla^2 = \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( r^2 \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \right) + \frac{1}{r^2 \sin \theta} \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} \left( \sin \theta \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} \right) + \frac{1}{r^2 \sin^2 \theta}

1. What is the Three Dimensional Dirac Function?

The Three Dimensional Dirac Function is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to describe point-like objects in three-dimensional space. It is a function that is zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite.

2. How is the Three Dimensional Dirac Function different from the One Dimensional Dirac Function?

The Three Dimensional Dirac Function is an extension of the One Dimensional Dirac Function, which is used to describe point-like objects in one-dimensional space. The main difference is that the Three Dimensional Dirac Function is defined in three-dimensional space, while the One Dimensional Dirac Function is defined in one-dimensional space.

3. What is the importance of the Three Dimensional Dirac Function in physics?

The Three Dimensional Dirac Function is important in physics because it allows us to mathematically describe point particles, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons, which are fundamental building blocks of matter. It is also used in quantum mechanics to describe the wavefunctions of particles in three-dimensional space.

4. How is the Three Dimensional Dirac Function used in engineering?

The Three Dimensional Dirac Function is used in engineering to model point sources or point loads in three-dimensional structures. It is also used in signal processing to represent impulses or spikes in three-dimensional signals.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Three Dimensional Dirac Function?

Yes, the Three Dimensional Dirac Function has many real-life applications. It is used in medical imaging to model the density of organs and tissues in three-dimensional space. It is also used in geophysics to model the density of the Earth's subsurface. In addition, it is used in computer graphics to model the lighting and shading of three-dimensional objects.