Calc Magnitude & Direction of A+B+C Vectors

• Thread starter bumblebeeliz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary: You should subtract the vectors to get the result. The magnitude is the same, but the direction is opposite.
bumblebeeliz

Homework Statement

Three vectors, A, B, and C each have a magnitude of 74 units. Their directions relative to the positive direction of the x-axis are 15, 115, & 215 degrees, respectively. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the vectors

a. A+B+C
b. A+B-C
c. C-2A

Homework Equations

R = (square root) Rx2 + Ry2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started with a. :

Ax = (74u) (cos15) = 71.478
Ay = (74u) (sin15) = 19.152

Bx = (-74u) (cos110) = 25.309
By = (74u) (sin110) = 69.537

Cx = (-74u) (cos225) = 52.325
Cy = (-74u) (sin225) = 52.325

Ax+Bx+Cx = 149.112
Ay+By+Cy = 141.014

R = (square root) (149)2+ (141)2
R = 205 units

Which doesn't make much sense looking at the first graph? So I attached a second graph because I am not sure which one to use.
Any genius suggestions :smile:?

ps. Red = A Blue = B Green = C Yellow = connected points

Attachments

• assignment1_10a.jpg
    assignment1_10a.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 567
  • assignment1_10a_try2.jpg
    assignment1_10a_try2.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You stuck negatives in front of the magnitudes for vectors B and C. Why?

The x and y components for B should be - and + respectively. Both components for C should be negative. You allow the sin and cos functions of the absolute angle to determine the pos and neg of the components.

Thanks for the reply.
I added minuses because I placed the vectors wrongly on the graph. I guess my 2nd graph was correct then.

2nd try:

Ax = (74u) (cos15) = 71.478
Ay = (74u) (sin15) = 19.152

Bx = (74u) (cos110) = -25.309
By = (74u) (sin110) = 69.537

Cx = (74u) (cos225) = -52.325
Cy = (74u) (sin225) = -52.325

Ax+Bx+Cx = -6.156
Ay+By+Cy = 36.364

R = (square root) (-6.156)2+ (36.364)2
R = 36.88 units or 37 units

------

How would I go forth with b. ?

A + B - C

Do I simply do the following:

Ax+Bx - Cx = 98.494
Ay+By - Cy = 141.014

R = (square root) (98.494)2+ (141.014)2
R = 172 units

This is apparently correct (I didn't recalculate your numbers, but they appear to be about right). Subtracting a vector is the same thing as adding a vector, except the arrow points in the opposite direction, so all components will switch signs.

Don't forget to find the angle of direction for the resultant. I always take the arctan of (y/x) which will always be the angle from the nearest x-axis. You then have to visually determine which quadrant it lies in, and adjust accordingly for absolute angles.

I almost forgot to calculate the angles. Thanks a lot!

1) What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude (or length) of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, the formula for calculating the magnitude of a vector A with components Ax and Ay is: |A| = √(Ax² + Ay²).

2) How do you calculate the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector is typically expressed in terms of an angle measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis in standard position. To calculate the direction of a vector A with components Ax and Ay, you can use the inverse tangent function (arctan) to find the angle θ: θ = arctan(Ay/Ax). This angle can then be converted to the appropriate units (degrees or radians) depending on the context.

3) What is the difference between magnitude and direction in vector calculations?

The magnitude of a vector refers to its length or size, while the direction refers to the angle or orientation of the vector. Both magnitude and direction are necessary to fully describe a vector in two-dimensional space. In three-dimensional space, a vector can also have a component in the z-direction, which would require a magnitude and two angles (θ and φ) to fully describe it.

4) How do you add two or more vectors together?

To add two or more vectors together, you can use the parallelogram method or the triangle method. The parallelogram method involves drawing the vectors as sides of a parallelogram and using the diagonal of the parallelogram as the resultant vector. The triangle method involves drawing the vectors as sides of a triangle and using the third side (or the remaining sides) as the resultant vector. To find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and inverse tangent function as described in the previous questions.

5) Can vectors with different units be added together?

No, vectors with different units cannot be added together. In order to add vectors, they must have the same units and be in the same coordinate system. If the vectors have different units, they can be converted to a common unit before being added together. For example, if one vector is given in meters and the other in centimeters, the centimeter vector can be converted to meters by dividing by 100 before adding the vectors together.