Three winding transformer

In summary, the purpose of tertiary winding in a 3-winding transformer is to balance the zero sequence component caused by line-to-neutral load on the secondary side. The zero sequence currents cannot flow in an isolated neutral star-connected primary, making it impossible for the primary currents to balance the zero sequence component. This is due to the fact that the zero sequence currents are all in the same phase and there is no way for them to flow back out of the neutral node. This is in accordance with Kirchhoff's Current Law which states that what goes in must come back out.
ranju
while studying the purpose of tertiary winding in the this 3-winding transformer , I'hv gone through a statement that " the zero sequence component caused by line-to-neutral load on secondary side cannot be balanced by primary currents as the zero sequence currents cannot flow in isolated neutral star connected primary".
Now first of all I wanted to know that the currents in secondary are balanced by primary as this is the basic thing I am not getting this and why can't primary currents balance the zero sequence component ??
And secondly why can't the zero sequence current flow in star-primary??
I am missing some basics , so please elaborate it..??

ranju said:
zero sequence currents cannot flow in isolated neutral star connected primary"

Isolated neutral... hmmmmm,,, you already know the answer...

What is phase relation between zero sequence currents?

What does KCL tell you about currents into that neutral node?

jim hardy said:
What is phase relation between zero sequence currents?
the zero sequence are all in same phase with each other & there's a zero phase displacement between them .. I am not getting why the primary currents can't balance the zero sequence current??

ranju said:
the zero sequence are all in same phase with each other & there's a zero phase displacement between them .. I am not getting why the primary currents can't balance the zero sequence current??
hmmmmm. all in phase? Do they all flow into or out of the the neutral in phase?

seems there's no way back out of neutral? You said it's not connected ... Kirchhoff says what goes in must come back out?

Last edited:

1. What is a three winding transformer?

A three winding transformer is a type of power transformer that has three windings instead of the usual two. It is used to step up or step down voltage levels in a power distribution system.

2. How does a three winding transformer work?

The three winding transformer works by utilizing a primary winding, a secondary winding, and an additional tertiary winding. The primary winding is connected to the power source and induces a magnetic field. This magnetic field then induces a current in the secondary winding, which is connected to the load. The tertiary winding can be used to regulate the voltage levels between the primary and secondary windings.

3. What are the advantages of using a three winding transformer?

One advantage of a three winding transformer is its ability to regulate voltage levels between the primary and secondary windings. This allows for more flexibility and control in the power distribution system. Additionally, a three winding transformer can reduce the overall size and cost of the system compared to using multiple single winding transformers.

4. Where are three winding transformers commonly used?

Three winding transformers are commonly used in power transmission and distribution systems, as well as in industrial settings such as factories and power plants. They can also be found in renewable energy systems, such as wind or solar power systems.

5. What are some safety considerations when working with three winding transformers?

When working with three winding transformers, it is important to follow all safety procedures and protocols, as well as to have a thorough understanding of the transformer's specifications and capabilities. Additionally, appropriate personal protective equipment should be worn when working with high voltage systems. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the transformer to ensure safe and efficient operation.