Calculating E(X+Y+Z/X) and E(W/X+Y)

• Thread starter ParisSpart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dice
And the same for E(Z/X)?In summary, the conversation discusses throwing three ordinary dice and the results of X, Y, and Z being added to get the value of W. The question asks for the number of different values of the random values E(W/X) and E(W/X+Y). The conversation continues with a discussion on how to approach finding these values.
ParisSpart
we throw three ordinary dice and X,Y,Z their results and W=X+Y+Z how many differents values have the random values E(W/X) and E(W/X+Y)?

can anyone explain me how to beggin because i am confused.. i will use E(X+Y+Z/X)=E(X/X)+E(Y/X)+E(Z/X)=? for the first one?

Physics news on Phys.org
ParisSpart said:
we throw three ordinary dice and X,Y,Z their results and W=X+Y+Z how many differents values have the random values E(W/X) and E(W/X+Y)?

can anyone explain me how to beggin because i am confused.. i will use E(X+Y+Z/X)=E(X/X)+E(Y/X)+E(Z/X)=? for the first one?

I think you need to go back and look at the problem again. I don't know what you mean by "how many differents values have the random values E(W/X) and E(W/X+Y)?"
How many different values" of what? E(W/X) and E(W/(X+ Y) are specific numbers. Do you mean how many (X, Y, Z) combinations give W that are equal to those expectations. Actually, I would be surprized if those were integer values. Or do you mean simply "find E(W/X) and E(W/(X+Y))"?

It's not all that difficult to determine the [itex]6^3= 216[/itex] combinations of three dice. W ranges in value from 3 to 18.

ParisSpart said:
E(X+Y+Z/X)=E(X/X)+E(Y/X)+E(Z/X)=?
Assuming you mean E((X+Y+Z)/X), that's a good start. E(X/X) is obvious. Since X and Y are independent, can you expand E(Y/X) into separate functions of X and Y?

Related to Calculating E(X+Y+Z/X) and E(W/X+Y)

1. What is the formula for calculating E(X+Y+Z/X)?

The formula for calculating E(X+Y+Z/X) is E(X) + E(Y) + E(Z), where E(X), E(Y), and E(Z) represent the expected values of X, Y, and Z, respectively.

2. How do you calculate E(W/X+Y)?

To calculate E(W/X+Y), you first need to calculate the joint probability distribution of W, X, and Y. Then, you can use the formula E(W/X+Y) = ∑∑∑ w * P(w,x,y) / P(x,y), where w represents the values of W, P(w,x,y) represents the joint probability of W, X, and Y, and P(x,y) represents the joint probability of X and Y.

3. Can you use E(X+Y+Z/X) and E(W/X+Y) to find E(X+Y+Z+W)?

Yes, you can use the linearity property of expected value to find E(X+Y+Z+W) by adding E(X+Y+Z/X) and E(W/X+Y).

4. What is the difference between E(X+Y+Z/X) and E(X+Y+Z)/X?

E(X+Y+Z/X) represents the conditional expected value of X+Y+Z given X, while E(X+Y+Z)/X represents the expected value of X+Y+Z divided by X. In other words, E(X+Y+Z/X) takes into account the value of X, while E(X+Y+Z)/X does not.

5. How can you use E(X+Y+Z/X) and E(W/X+Y) to find the covariance between X+Y+Z and W?

To find the covariance between X+Y+Z and W, you can use the formula cov(X+Y+Z, W) = E((X+Y+Z)(W)) - E(X+Y+Z) * E(W). You can calculate the first term using E(X+Y+Z)/X and E(W/X+Y), and the second term using E(X+Y+Z/X) and E(W/X+Y), respectively.