Tick bite? lyme disease?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
marcusl
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For what it's worth, the treatment for a lyme tick bite is a course of antibiotics consisting of *a single pill*!

I was bitten by a deer tick last year. My doctor said it was it was unlikely I was infected since I had no bullseye or redness, but offered me the prescription accompanied by this quick cost/benefit analysis: the downside to treating a nonexistent condition with a single dose of antibiotic is small, while the downside of missing Lyme's disease can be life altering and devastating. I agreed to take the pill.

For what it's worth, the treatment for a lyme tick bite is a course of antibiotics consisting of *a single pill*!

I was bitten by a deer tick last year. My doctor said it was it was unlikely I was infected since I had no bullseye or redness, but offered me the prescription accompanied by this quick cost/benefit analysis: the downside to treating a nonexistent condition with a single dose of antibiotic is small, while the downside of missing Lyme's disease can be life altering and devastating. I agreed to take the pill.
I can't remember----was it red or blue?

(look at the last thing on that list)
Looks like a cyclical redundancy cycle.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
We don't have Lyme disease in the UK but the same thing applies to Weil's disease (Leptospirosis) rowers and canoeists get it and have a real job trying to persuade doctors to even test for it.

marcusl
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I can't remember----was it red or blue?
I don't remember either, but I now seem to be able to move faster than light :smile:

Yeah, that wrong diagnosis site looked REALLY respectable....NOT! It had banner ads for all sorts of random stuff. If your gonna provide a website to counter somebody's statement at least make a respectable one.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
So, now that the dust has settled, what's the scoop? Is Evo turning into a Were-deer?

Evo
Mentor
Apparently just a bizarre bruise.

Last edited:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I looked at this page and a little way down on the page there's this sub-heading:

Alternative diagnoses list for Lyme disease:

(look at the last thing on that list)
:rofl:

Of course, looking at that list, some really aren't misdiagnoses so much as diagnoses of exclusion. For example, PCOS has a lot of symptoms in common with other reproductive disorders. There's no specific test for it, so the only way to diagnose it is to test for everything else it might be first, and if it's none of those, then it's PCOS. Of course, that leaves people feeling like they've been misdiagnosed when they feel like they've been tested for everything on the planet before the doctor gives them their correct diagnosis.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
For example, PCOS has a lot of symptoms in common with other reproductive disorders.
Hey! that's what Mrs. DaveC426913 is currently recruiting for for clinical studies!