Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tiddly Beer Beer Beer

1. May 5, 2008 #1
    Lord Bless Charlie Mops.

So what are your favourite types and brands of beer?

I prefer darker beers myself, Guinness being my favourite. New Castle, Negra Modelo, Sapporo, and Flying Dog(Denver microbrew) are the only other beers I have ever tried and enjoyed.
    Otherwise I have also enjoyed several ciders, Hornsby's Amber being my favourite. HardCore Black was one of my favourites aswell but I think the HardCore Cider Co is gone now. Woodchuck and Wyders are decent.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Red Hook Extra Special Bitter. A cold beer in the evening of a hot day...aahhhh!!

4. May 5, 2008 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like all sorts. Sam Smith's stout is better than Guinness, but I like that as well.

5. May 5, 2008 #4
    Guinness. Hands down.

6. May 5, 2008 #5
    I wore a PBR shirt today, haha. At least that brand is cheap enough for us young bucks.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  7. May 5, 2008 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I vote Hoegaarden and MooseHead.

Edit: Beer needs to be properly spelled.

8. May 5, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yeah hoegaarden. Ich liebe weissbier. :smile:

9. May 5, 2008 #8

Danger

Gold Member

I drink Keith's India Pale Ale in bars. At home, I stick with Lucky because it's the cheapest stuff that you can get around here. (I was astounded to find out that it's considered a 'top-line' beer in the US.)
    If neither is available, I go with Pil.
    (Every once in a while I'll have a half of Guinness because it looks so nice, but it tastes like it has been filtered through a moose.)

10. May 5, 2008 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can buy cases of Coors Light, Budweiser, Labbatt's and so on in Quebec for $22.50! Also, Hoegaarden is available in Quebec. It's hard to find here in Quebec. My buddy bought 30 of them in Quebec and since they only come in 6-packs it cost him $75!!!

11. May 5, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lately, Guinness has been tasting watered down to me. I've been enjoying some of the beers by the Great Lakes Brewing Co....Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, and Burning River Ale. I've also discovered one called Dead Guy Ale that I like (the bar I went to the last day I taught gross anatomy this year just happened to have it and it seemed a fitting beer to celebrate that class being done, so I tried it just for the name...really tasty); that's made by Rogue Brewing Co in Oregon. There's also Mountaineer Brewing Co., which is a WV brewery that has a nice Nut Brown that I like, but only bottled. I went to a bar that had it on tap, and it didn't taste very good on tap. Odd...usually beers are better on tap than bottled.

12. May 5, 2008 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...a cold, cloudy hefeweizen on a hot, sunny day is wonderful. Pyramid brewery mades a good one.

13. May 5, 2008 #12

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wychwood brewery is one of my favourites.

14. May 5, 2008 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I always enjoyed a little dark Heiney.

15. May 5, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Has Tsu already left for the week? :uhh:

16. May 5, 2008 #15
    Best American macro brew= Yuengling lager (oldest brewery in the US too)

Other favs (all microbrews): Dogfish head 90 min IPA, Victory Hop Devil, Victory Storm King, Iron Hill Brewery's Pig Iron Porter, 3 Floyds Dark Lord Stout, anything from Yards.

I don't understand why hefewiezens have all of the sudden become all the rage. They are nasty. Any beer that needs fruit put in it=:yuck:

17. May 5, 2008 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

EnjoyED:bugeye:

I stopped drinking long before the micro-brew craze, but I always did like the finer dark beers. Heiney and Sapporo were both real good.

18. May 5, 2008 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't put fruit in them. They are pretty low on my list of beers though, but they are considered a nice, light summer beer, so that's why they all come out this time of year.

19. May 5, 2008 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:redface:...too much information...:redface:

20. May 5, 2008 #19

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I like the Oatmeal and Imperial Stouts and Taddy Porter. Their Nut Brown and Pale Ales are also very good.

Chimay Red and Blue are fine Trappiste Ales.

And I certainly enjoy Guinness Stout.

21. May 5, 2008 #20

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

These are all some fancy beers - as for myself the American beers e.g. Budweiser makes me a bit sick ; they all seem to have somekind of a chemical aspect to them. It turns out that this chemical aspect may be related to hops which were chemically modified to treat the skunky property of beer. I've been drinking more and more of Heineken these days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?