Calculate Distance a Tiger Will Leap - Tiger Leap Physics

• Thread starter helpinphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a ball is thrown horizontally from the roof of a building 50 m tall and lands 45 m away from the base. The ball's initial speed was 1.851 m/s.
helpinphysics
A tiger leaps horizontally from a 12 m high rock with speed of 4.5 m/s. How far from base will she land>

d=vit + 1/2a(t)(t)

12m=4.5m/s*t
t=2.66s

thats where i got stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
The 12m is vertical displacement not horizontal.

Split the problem into 2 parts: 1) vertical. 2) horizontal.

The vertical part:

Use the equation: d = v1*t + (1/2)at^2, where v1 is the initial vertical velocity. what is a?

solve for t. Then do the horizontal part...

Treat horizontal and vertical motion separately. To find the time, use that formula for vertical motion (which is accelerated motion with a = g = 9.8 m/s^2) and solve for t:
[tex]d = 1/2 a t^2[/tex]

When you find the time, use a formula for the horizontal motion to find the horizontal distance. The horizontal motion is not accelerated.

The are two parts to this problem.

One is to determine the time to fall 12 m, and the second part is determine who far the tiger travels horizontally during that time.

So part 1 - what is the forumla for ball some distance (height) under the influence of gravity. Use that to find T.

Then the tiger leaps horizontally with speed of 4.5 m/s. How far does the tiger travel in time T with a constant speed of 4.5 m/s.

Please refer to - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

Start with 'Freefall'.

i don't think i did this right but is a .00849?

i did 12 m=4.5m/s*2.66s+(1/2)at^2
12=11.97+3.53a
.03/3.53=3.53a/3.53
a=.00849

Last edited:
Please refer to Doc Al's comment. With respect to learningphysics's post, the initial vertical velocity is zero. One the tiger leaps (horizontally), it starts falling.

One uses the equation of motion in the vertical to find time t or T.

a = g = 9.8 m/s2

Please refer to the hyperphysics page.

what do i use to get the horizontal part

ok i got that the time is 2.66s

helpinphysics said:

That's not right. Can you show your steps? Did you use the equation Doc Al posted?

helpinphysics said:
How did you arrive at that answer? (Note that that was your original answer, which is still incorrect.)

i am really stuck. i don't no what to next

i tried to use the equation
but this is how i came up with my answer
d=vit+(1/2)at^2
12=4.5t+(1/2)0t^2
12=4.5m/s*t
t=2.66s

helpinphysics said:
i am really stuck. i don't no what to next

d = v1*t + (1/2)at^2

v1 = 0, so

d = (1/2)at^2

taking down as positive and up as negative:

-12 = (1/2)(-9.8)t^2

solve for t.

but i guess a is 9.81m/s^2

t=1.56s

so how do i apply that to the horizontal part

i found the answer! x=0+4.5*1.56
x=7.02

i got the answer
it is 7.02
x=0+4.5*1.56
x=7.02m

cool. looks right.

thank you!

i have another quesstion...i did the second part right but I am not sure about the first.

cliff divers push of horizontalll from rock platforms about 35m above the water, but they must clear rocky outcrops at water level that extend out into the water 5m from the base of the cliff directly under their launch point. what minimun speed is necessary to do this? how long are they in the air?

helpinphysics said:
thank you!

Only one thing. I get 7.04m... this slight difference is due to rounding... don't round till the very end... carry a few extra decimals till the very end when you get the final answer.

for how long they are in the air i got 2.7s
d=vit+(1/2)(9.81)t^2
35m=4.905t^2
7.13=t^2
t=2.67 rounded to 2.7s

i can't find the speed

helpinphysics said:
i have another quesstion...i did the second part right but I am not sure about the first.

cliff divers push of horizontalll from rock platforms about 35m above the water, but they must clear rocky outcrops at water level that extend out into the water 5m from the base of the cliff directly under their launch point. what minimun speed is necessary to do this? how long are they in the air?

once you have the time, just use:

horizontal displacement = horizontal velocity * time

i think i found the answer to the first part
d=vit
5m=vi(2.7)
5/2.7=vi(2.7/2.7)
1.851=vi

a ball is thrown horizontally from the roof a building 50m tall and lands 45m away from the base. what was the ball's initial speed?

helpinphysics said:
a ball is thrown horizontally from the roof a building 50m tall and lands 45m away from the base. what was the ball's initial speed?

this one is just like the cliff divers problem...

FAQ: Calculate Distance a Tiger Will Leap - Tiger Leap Physics

1. How do you calculate the distance a tiger will leap?

To calculate the distance a tiger will leap, you will need to know the initial velocity and launch angle of the tiger's jump. You can use these values in the equation: d = v2sin(2θ)/g, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the launch angle of a tiger's jump?

The launch angle of a tiger's jump can vary, but it is typically between 20-30 degrees. This angle allows the tiger to maximize its distance while also maintaining stability during the jump.

3. What is the initial velocity of a tiger's jump?

The initial velocity of a tiger's jump can also vary, but it is estimated to be around 10 meters per second. However, this can change depending on the size and strength of the tiger.

4. How does the weight of a tiger affect its jumping distance?

The weight of a tiger does have an impact on its jumping distance. Generally, a heavier tiger will have a shorter jumping distance compared to a lighter tiger. This is due to the fact that the heavier tiger will have a greater force of gravity acting on it, making it more difficult to overcome with its initial velocity and launch angle.

5. Is it possible for a tiger to jump a longer distance than calculated?

Yes, it is possible for a tiger to jump a longer distance than calculated. This is because the calculated distance only takes into account the horizontal distance traveled, but a tiger could also jump vertically, which would increase its overall distance. Additionally, factors such as wind speed and terrain can also affect the actual distance a tiger can leap.