Time at given speed in freefall

In summary, the problem is that the car is initially traveling at a very high rate of speed and then falls off a cliff. It takes a very long time for it to reach its final speed of 90 km/h.
KingNothing
Here is a problem from my book:

If a car rolls gently (initial velocity = 0) off a vertical cliff, how long does it take to reach 90km/h?

It seems easy, and I have been breezing through all teh other ones like it's my job, but for some reason this one gets me. I knwo it's possible, but I just don't know how. The answer is supposed to be 2.6 seconds, but I somehow always wind up dividing 90 by 9.8. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the expression:

[tex]v(t) = v_0 + \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]?

Just solve it for t.

- Warren

Alright, thanks...but I still seem to get the wrong answer consistently. I do:

90=0.5(9.8)t^2
90=4.9t^2
18.37=t^2
t=4.29

what is going wrong?

Originally posted by Decker
what is going wrong?
Convert 90 km/hr into m/s first, so that your units will agree.

- Warren

Thanks, I don't know how I skipped that. That's what happened on the quiz, too. Did all of them perfectly, then on one forgot to convert.

Also, is it just me, or should I really end up with about 2.26 seconds?

Last edited:
Originally posted by Decker
Also, is it just me, or should I really end up with about 2.26 seconds?

I get 2.258769757 on my calculator using g = 9.8 m/s^2.

Does the problem explicitly say we can ignore air resistance?

Chroot: I must confess that during the several days I spent in calculus (and physics) class, I never saw an equation that said
"[tex]v(t) = v_0 + \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]"

I do recall seeing one that said "[tex]v(t)= v_0+ at[/tex]" and one that said "[tex]d(t)= d_0+ v_0t+ \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]".

Assuming no air resistance and that a= -9.8 m/s2, with v0= 0, v(t)= -9.8 t m/s. Since there are 1000m in a km and 60*60= 3600 sec in and hour, -90 km/hr= -90 *1000/3600= -25 m/s.
-25= -9.8 t so t= 25/9.8= 2.55 seconds.

Looks pretty easy to me (as long as you don't listen to Chroot!).

(C'mon, who is it that's using Chroot's good name?)

I'm sure it was just an oversight. :smile:.

Last edited:
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

*slinks into a corner and hides*

- Warren

Or you can use

v^2 = v0^2 + 2aΔx.

Solve for Δx and then time is just Δx/v.

Optimus, you can't do that because once you've solved for the distance its fallen, dividing by v means you are assuming that the velocity is constant, which it obviously isn't.

Originally posted by chroot

*slinks into a corner and hides*

- Warren

I blindly assumed chroot's equation was correct.

Give me back the two minutes of my life I wasted!

Originally posted by Warr
Optimus, you can't do that because once you've solved for the distance its fallen, dividing by v means you are assuming that the velocity is constant, which it obviously isn't.

Besides, x is not given.

Originally posted by Warr

Actually, under a constant acceleration, you can compute the time using the average velocity.

Given the final velocity and displacement, to solve for t:

[tex]t = \frac{2 d}{V_f}[/tex] or

[tex]\frac{V_f}{2} = \frac{d}{t}[/tex]

Vf/2 when Vi=0 and acceleration is constant gives the average velocity.

Last edited:

1. What is "time at given speed" in freefall?

"Time at given speed" in freefall refers to the amount of time it takes for an object to fall from a certain height at a specific speed. It is also known as the "time of fall".

2. How is "time at given speed" in freefall calculated?

The formula for calculating time at given speed in freefall is t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the height, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

3. Does the mass of an object affect the "time at given speed" in freefall?

No, the mass of an object has no effect on the time at given speed in freefall. This is because all objects, regardless of their mass, experience the same acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect "time at given speed" in freefall?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the time at given speed in freefall by slowing down the falling object. This means that it will take longer for the object to reach the ground compared to if there was no air resistance. However, the effect of air resistance on the time at given speed is relatively small for most objects.

5. Are there any factors that can change the "time at given speed" in freefall?

The only factors that can affect the time at given speed in freefall are the height and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as mass, air resistance, and initial velocity do not have an impact on the time at given speed in freefall.