Time-dependent Schrodinger equation problem

So while the momentum itself may oscillate, the expectation value would not.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the wavefunction solution to the time-dependent Schrodinger equation for a harmonic oscillator in a specific state. The key is to find the time-dependent component and normalize each term. The coefficients in front of the basis states can have arbitrary phases. The conversation also mentions the time average of the square of the wavefunction and the expectation value for momentum.
cscott

Homework Statement

For a harmonic oscillator in a state such that a measurement of energy would give either [itex]1/2\hbar\omega[/itex] or [itex]3/2\hbar\omega[/itex] with equal probabily. Write the wavefunction solution to the time-dependent Schrodinger equation.

2. The attempt at a solution

Given those energies I know [itex]\psi_0[/itex] and [itex]\psi_1[/itex] are the two states but I'm asked to chose the coefficients in front of them in the most general way, i.e. don't assume they are real. How do I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org

Separation of variables of the time-dependent Schrodinger's equation gives a spatial component and a time-dependent component.

Unless you have already accounted for it, [tex]\psi_0[/tex] and [tex]\psi_1[/tex] only represent the spatial component. The key is to find the time-dependent component to tack on.

Once you find that, you will be able to see how the coefficients are pretty arbitrary.

Won't the time dependent part simply be [itex]\exp(-iE_nt/\hbar)[/itex]? And this will vanish for [itex]\Psi^*\Psi[/itex] where,

[tex]\Psi = \alpha \psi_0 \exp(-iE_0t/\hbar) + \beta \psi_1 \exp(-iE_1t/\hbar)[/tex]

So can I then normalize each term to 1/2?

I don't see how I'd know when to use [itex]i/\sqrt{2}[/itex] instead of [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] as a coefficient for a sate that makes up 1/2 the wavefunction.

It is true that the time dependent factor will vanish for [itex]
\Psi^*\Psi
[/itex] when [itex]
\Psi
[/itex] is a pure state, ie. only one basis component.

However, if you were to work it out explicitly for [itex]
\Psi
[/itex] with more than one component, such as for [tex]
\Psi = \alpha \psi_0 \exp(-iE_0t/\hbar) + \beta \psi_1 \exp(-iE_1t/\hbar)
[/tex], you will find out that the exponential factor does not cancel out.

As the exponential factors are not in phase, as time varies, the coefficients can flip signs and phases.

Once you complete the above, it helps to consider the time average of [itex]
\Psi^*\Psi
[/itex].

Is it correct to say that this [itex]\Psi^*\Psi[/itex] reduces back to [itex]|\alpha|^2 + |\beta|^2 = 1[/itex] by integrating over all space because the pure states are already normalized and they are orthonormal?

[tex]\Psi^*\Psi = |\alpha|^2|\psi_0|^2 + \alpha^* \psi_0^* \beta \psi_1 \exp(-i(E_0-E_1)t/\hbar) + \beta^* \psi_1^* \alpha \psi_0 \exp(-i(E_1-E_0)t/\hbar) + |\beta|^2|\psi_1|^2[/tex]

[tex]\int \Psi^*\Psi dx = 1[/tex]

But then can't alpha be [itex]-i/\sqrt{2}p[/itex] OR [itex]i/\sqrt{2}[/itex] without changing anything?

Last edited:

cscott said:
But then can't alpha be [itex]-i/\sqrt{2}[/itex] OR [itex]i/\sqrt{2}[/itex] without changing anything?

Yes, there is a phase of [tex]e^{i\theta }[/tex] that typically goes with the coefficients. The coefficient can be [tex]\frac{i}{{\sqrt 2 }},\frac{{ - i}}{{\sqrt 2 }},\frac{1}{{\sqrt 2 }},\frac{{ - 1}}{{\sqrt 2 }}[/tex]. They all result in the same solution in this case, however, so it's no big deal.

Thanks... it's just the question was worded in a way that made me think I could calculate one of those explicitly.

That is correct. The orthogonality of the states mean that the space integral of the cross terms is zero, while orthonormality means that the integral of the pure states component gives [tex]|\alpha|^2[/tex] and [tex]|b|^2[/tex].

does finding the expectation value of momentum of [itex]\Psi[/itex] in the form,

[tex]<\Psi|P|\Psi> = a \exp(i(E_0-E_1)t/\hbar) + b \exp(i(E_1-E_0)t/\hbar)[/tex] ;

make sense? Where `a' and `b' are just some constants.

Last edited:

If you mean does the part of the integral that goes something like [tex]\int {\psi _0 P\psi _1 } [/tex] disregarding the propagator term (since it's just a constant and can be pulled out of the integral), yes, that kind of integral is perfectly valid and makes perfect sense. When you get your answer, think about exactly what a oscillator is and what an expectation value is and it'll make sense!

I got that result for [tex]\int \Psi^* P \Psi[/tex] where [tex]\Psi[/tex] is the mixed state that I found above.

That expression looks like it'll give me some sines and cosines, and it makes sense that the momentum would oscillate.

cscott said:
That expression looks like it'll give me some sines and cosines, and it makes sense that the momentum would oscillate.

The momentum would oscillate but remember, that's not what an expectation value tells you. The expectation value is the actual value of on average, what the momentum would be.

1. What is the Time-dependent Schrodinger equation problem?

The Time-dependent Schrodinger equation problem is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum mechanical systems over time. It is used to predict the evolution of a system's wave function, which contains information about the system's energy, position, and other properties.

2. Why is the Time-dependent Schrodinger equation important?

The Time-dependent Schrodinger equation is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems, which are essential to many modern technologies such as computers and telecommunications. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.

3. How is the Time-dependent Schrodinger equation solved?

The Time-dependent Schrodinger equation is a complex partial differential equation that requires advanced mathematical techniques to solve. One common method is to use numerical approximation techniques such as the finite difference method or the finite element method. Other techniques include perturbation theory and variational methods.

4. What are the limitations of the Time-dependent Schrodinger equation?

While the Time-dependent Schrodinger equation is a powerful tool for understanding quantum systems, it has its limitations. It does not account for relativistic effects or interactions with external forces, and it cannot accurately describe systems with many interacting particles. In these cases, more complex equations, such as the Dirac equation, must be used.

5. How is the Time-dependent Schrodinger equation applied in real-world scenarios?

The Time-dependent Schrodinger equation has many practical applications, such as in the development of new materials, drug design, and quantum computing. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering to study the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems. Additionally, it is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and nuclear reactors.