1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time dilation

1. Feb 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose you decide to travel to a star 65 light-years away at a speed that tells you the distance is only 25 light-years. How many years would it take you to make the trip?

2. Relevant equations
    ∆t=∆t0/(√ (1−v2/c2 )) / ∆t0 = ∆t √(1−v2/c2)
    L=L0√ (1−v2/c2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've attempted to use the length contraction equation to find the velocity (v=c√(1-(25/65)^2) but when I plug that into the time dilation equation I don't get the correct answer. I get 25 when the answer should be 27. Where am I going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you know the distance in your frame and the velocity in your frame, what do you need time dilation for?

4. Feb 22, 2016 #3
    I don't. I wasn't thinking that light years is also a distance because I looking at an example for the problem that combined the two equations (length contraction & time dilation) which threw me off. It's basically t=d/v after you figure out velocity right?

5. Feb 22, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted